Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

On Healing and Oil

Last night I was reading from Mark 6, and the description of the apostles anoiting the sick with oil caught my eye. I hadn't seen that detail before, and started wondering where that came from scripturally, besides Jesus' demonstration of it.

(NIV)Mark 6:12-13
They went out and preached that people should repent. [13] They drove out many demons and anointed many sick people with oil and healed them.

Apparently, after some research, this passage and James 5:14 are the only two that talk about oil and healing. It was an interesting read - looking at the commentaries and how many of them tried to make some sort of theological point, or compared this to medicine, or talked about how this was for the 12 apostles only, and since healing no longer happens we are left with the anoiting with oil, etc.

As I read this, it appears to me that the apostles were clearly doing something that Jesus taught them to do. They were going out into the kingdom of darkness proclaiming the Kingdom of God, and as a demonstration of this reality, healing people of their sicknesses. They were anointing the sick people - anointing in the old testament was a way of consecrating (Ex 29:7}, or dedicating someone or something for a sacred purpose. Olive oil was used, and olive oil was what they used for light in the temple (Ex 25:6). Could this be as simple as the apostles calling these people to their divine (sacred) purpose in the Kingdom, to be a light to all that the Kingdom of God was real and in their midst? I am not a theologist, but that seems as likely to me as any of the other commentries I read.

Regardless, we don't need to make this a point of theology, or religion. In plenty of instances, Jesus clearly didn't use oil, in some He used mud, or even spit, neither of which have any religious or sacred significance. Jesus healed. He called us to heal. We will be guided through the Holy Spirit on how to approach each situation, just as Jesus so clearly demonstrated. Lord, help me to not get caught up in the pharisitical splitting of a religious hair when confronted by something like this. Rather help me to embrace Your heart and attitude towards those who are sick and sinners, that You came for them (Matt 9:12-13)!

No comments:

Post a Comment