Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Fear or Love?

The other morning I was reading this verse in Acts 2:

(NIV)Acts 2:42-47
They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. [43] Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. [44] All the believers were together and had everything in common. [45] They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. [46] Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, [47] praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

As I was reflecting on this, thinking about how the early church was selling property and possessions, I found myself looking around my house, making lists of things I would be willing to sell, and things I wouldn't. I found a bit of fear rising up in my heart, that God might ask me sell something that I considered dear, and I thought this probably wasn't an uncommon response to this verse.

I think that often what we are concerned about is that the Lord will ask us to give away too much, or give away the one thing that is so dear to us. This fear represents an area where we don't trust the Lord, and don't understand His love for us. To think that the Lord would ever hurt us or want less then the very best for us is really a bit heretical. We are saying that we don't think God is who He says He is, and rather than loving us, He will punish us by taking that which is dearest. We are saying we are afraid, but fear and love don't co-exist.

(NIV)1 John 4:18
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

Lord, help us to truly experience Your love, and trust You completely. You do love us and care for us and provide for us more than we can ever imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment