Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Accepting God's Help

Yesterday I started reading from Titus, and I think I will continue that reflection this morning, as I wasn't able to finish my time of meditation. Titus 2:7-8, 11-14 NIV:

[7] "In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness [8] and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us."

[11] "For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. [12] It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, [13] while we wait for the blessed hope---the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, [14] who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good."

Paul, in his letter to Titus uses an interesting phrase in verse 11, speaking of the grace of God having appeared and offering salvation to all. He goes on in verse 12 to say this same grace of God teaches us as well. I am filled with hope when reading verses 11 & 12 as they speak of the very real help that the Lord gives us in our effort to live godly lives in this present age. God knows we need help, and He sends it. God sends us 'grace'.

Webster's dictionary defines grace as: 1 a : unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification b : a virtue coming from God c : a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine grace.

So God gives us assistance that is unmerited, and unearned, to help us. This grace comes from God and is real help as we pursue godly lives (sanctification). Not only is this help real, it is the person of the Holy Spirit.

As I was thinking about this I just had the following analogy pop into my mind: It is like me buying a new house, my first house, and having no knowledge of the things I can do to make it my own, to my liking. A friend stops by and in conversation mentions that I could paint the rooms to colors that I prefer, and colors that match my belongings. I have never thought of painting before and am intrigued. The next day, this same friend shows up with paint and all the equipment and proceeds to show me how to paint, and even helps me to paint. I am amazed after a single day of work and education how we transformed my new house.

This grace God sends is real help, just like the friend in this analogy. He leads us when we don't even know we need to be led. He shows us the path to life and salvation and then helps us to walk the path He has shown us. We can turn down the help, tune out the help, or even do the opposite of what He is showing us - its our choice.

Our decision, or choice, is often dependent on our view of God, and our perspective of what He wants from us. Many of us live with a fear of God's call, like He will lead us into something we don't want to do. Many of us have a belief that if we follow God, we will have to give up all the fun things in our lives, or certain things that are dear to us. What we don't realize is that the Lord loves us for no reason other than He loves us! That is what unmerited favor and help is alluding to. He doesn't love us because of how we act, of what we might do, or because of who our parents are, He just loves us. He wants the best for us, and anything He leads us into is filled with life and joy and goodness. We often can't see that because we are limited in our view of all things by our humanness, but God sees all things, including the future.

Ultimately, if the Lord is teaching us to "say 'no' to ungodliness and worldly passions" (Titus 2:12), it is because He knows such things will not bear good fruit in our lives. Our actions do bring results, and He knows that certain actions will result in unfavorable results and is willing to help us to see those things and choose to do otherwise. The question that is pertinent to us all, is whether we will accept His help? Will we trust in Him, who died for us? Will we accept the help He sends us, to say no to the things that are not of Him? Will we become a part of His people, redeemed out of all the wickedness that surrounds us?

God does want to raise up a people, redeemed out of this world, who set the world on fire with love for Him. He wants a people who are passionately in love with Him, as He is passionately in love with us! We are called to be a light in this present dark age.

I am reminded of the following verses from 2 Corinthians 4:4-6 NIV: [4] "The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. [5] For what we preach is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake. [6] For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ."

Amen Lord, I know I need all the help I can get! I want the light of the gospel to shine out of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment