Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Be Silent and Listen

This morning I opened my Bible to Psalm 62:5-8 NIV:
[5] "Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him. [6] Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. [7] My salvation and my honor depend on God ; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. [8] Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge."

It interesting reading this verse 5, and then looking at the original Hebrew, they read quite differently. Here is a better translation - Young's literal translation.

Psalm 62:5 "Only -- for God, be silent, O my soul, For from Him [is] my hope.

6 Only -- He [is] my rock and my salvation, My tower, I am not moved.

7 On God [is] my salvation, and my honour, The rock of my strength, my refuge [is] in God.

8 Trust in Him at all times, O people, Pour forth before Him your heart, God [is] a refuge for us."

As I read these, the first translation seems to be talking about rest and peace, and comfort. But when you look tot he original language, Young's translation is more in line with the meaning. The author was basically telling His soul, his inner place of being to be silent before God.

I think this is so important. So often when I come to prayer, my mind and soul are in a swirl of thoughts, concerns, requests, etc. What I really need is to just stop the noise and get to a place where I can silence my own voice, thoughts and worries, so I can hear the Lord's voice.

Later in verse 8, the author says we should pour forth our heart before God, but that should be after we have quieted our heart, so we can hear Him. I usually seem to get the order mixed up. I think one of the reasons that David suggests this is that its important for us to get our perspective right before looking at our issues and problems. So often we are overwhelmed by things, but when we gain a different perspective, we see the reality of the situation and see that the Lord is there helping us and guiding us out of the situation. In Matt 19:26 Jesus said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

David, after stilling his heat and soul, and telling them to be quiet, recounts who God has revealed Himself to be: his hope, his rock, his salvation, his refuge, his honour. Once remembered, these facts of God's character, and nature, help to put things into perspective. If David was feeling threatened, he knew that God was a refuge, and rock. God would provide a safe place to rest until the storm clouds passed. If the world around David was shaking, God was perfectly still, unmoved by the pressures and disappointments, etc. If David felt under attack and behind enemy lines, God had revealed himself as his salvation - as one who would rescue and redeem him. If David was under attack and his character was being questioned, he knew that his honour ultimately came from God, not from man.

In light of God's revealed character and nature, all the concerns and cares of David's heart were quenched and relieved. As I was just thinking about this I saw the image of a person on fire diving into cool lake. I think that image is perfect - for that is sometimes how I feel - on fire with anxiety and worry. I am reminded of Psalm 23:1-3 NIV:

[1] "The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. [2] He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, [3] he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake."

Yes Lord, quench my fires and anxiety in the quiet waters, let me lay down and be refreshed in Your presence. In Your eyes, all these things are simple and small. You are not surprised, or overwhelmed by our situations. You are firmly in control, as You always have been. In You is peace, hope, joy, salvation and freedom. Amen Lord! If I will just learn to be silent and listen to God, I will gain the proper perspective and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment