Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Four Character Traits to Pursue

This morning I am reading from Colossians 3:12-14 NIV:

[12] "Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. [13] Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. [14] And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity."

This is another set of famous verses from Paul's letter to the church in Colossae. What an excellent list of characteristics we are called to clothe ourselves in. As I was reading this list I was reminded of the list of the fruits of the Spirit that Paul gives us in Galatians 5:22-23 - "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, [23] gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law."

Paul expands the Galatians list by adding compassion, patience, humility and forgiveness. When I think of these four characteristics, I can't help but think of the example of Jesus. He constantly demonstrated great compassion for the people. He was moved by their pain, their circumstances, and their need. His heart and whole being were affected. He broke cultural norms, because He felt for the people so deeply. Whether it was touching a man with leprosy, allowing a sinful woman to touch him, even washing his feet with her tears, or feeding thousands of hungry people, Jesus was constantly operating in compassion. The Lord still operates in compassion today, so when He looks at me, His heart is stirred and He desires to touch me, heal me, or provide for me, whatever I need most.

In the area of patience, I think of the 30 years of quiet, prior to His public ministry. I can't imagine Jesus, knowing who He was, not asking the Father every day if He would allow Him to begin His active ministry. He was the Son of God, under cover so effectively that no one suspected who He was. What a great example to me, knowing that sometimes hiddenness is the perfect will of the Father. Jesus also developed an incredible patience for His disciples. They were constantly not understanding him, screwing things up, yet He continue to trust them, and entrust His ministry to them.

As for humility, I can't imagine a more pure example than the Son of God, becoming a man. He purposefully laid down His divinity, was born a helpless little baby, and submitted himself to His own creation, even unto death. When you really sit down and think about Jesus, and what He did, it is almost incomprehensible. The Word made flesh, the Creator becoming part of His creation, the Eternal one submitting to time, the Omniscient, Omnipresent one, choosing to be limited in time, place, and knowledge, so that He might redeem us. It is impossible to fully understand, but it is an incredible example of His passionate love for us all.

Finally, giving definition to forgiveness, Jesus demonstrated this both in life and death. One of His very last acts was to ask the Father to forgive those that were killing Him. He demonstrated a willingness to speak forgiveness to many people He met and whose lives He touched, the paralyzed young man, the adulterous woman, the woman who washed His feet with her tears, etc. He spoke regularly of our need to forgive others, and how our heart in this area needs to reflect God's heart towards us. He told several parables to give life examples, and call people into the place of extending forgiveness to one another. It is forgiveness that cleanses and washes away the pain of betrayal, the agony of hurts and ugly words, that ultimately sets us free from so many chains that bind us.

What great characteristics to meditate on and sow into our lives and the lives of those we encounter. Lord, help me to grow in each of these areas, that I might faithfully represent You to those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment