Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Hunger, Compassion and Action


This morning I am reading from Mark 8:1-9a NIV:

[1]"During those days another large crowd gathered. Since they had nothing to eat, Jesus called his disciples to him and said, [2] “I have compassion for these people; they have already been with me three days and have nothing to eat. [3] If I send them home hungry, they will collapse on the way, because some of them have come a long distance.”

[4] His disciples answered, “But where in this remote place can anyone get enough bread to feed them?”

[5] “How many loaves do you have?” Jesus asked.

“Seven,” they replied.

[6] He told the crowd to sit down on the ground. When he had taken the seven loaves and given thanks, he broke them and gave them to his disciples to distribute to the people, and they did so. [7] They had a few small fish as well; he gave thanks for them also and told the disciples to distribute them. [8] The people ate and were satisfied. Afterward the disciples picked up seven basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. [9] About four thousand were present..."

As I read this story this morning the first thing that hit my mind was the amazing ability the Lord has to turn very little into blessing for many! He is not worried about a small number of anything, for His touch, when empowered by the Holy Spirit, brings multiplication.

My second thought was that it was compassion for the hunger of people that was the impetus of the miracle. The people had been with Jesus for three days, experiencing His teaching, and just being in His presence. They apparently had brought enough food with them for a few days, but by the third day their own resources had run out. In spite of their lack of physical food they stayed with Him for they were hungry for the Word of God. He saw both hungers and was moved by what He saw. The Lord cares about our physical needs as well as our spiritual needs, and our hunger causes Him to respond out of compassion.

As I was just thinking about this, I thought in some ways this was similar to the miracles of manna and quail in the desert, where the Lord fed His people miraculously. He is not going to allow us to starve, nor even go hungry, if we turn to Him and wait on Him. He is faithful, merciful and compassionate, and to act any different would go against His character, as He has revealed it to us. One thing You can bet on is the unchanging nature and character of God. Our hunger, as a result of our following Him and longing for more, is basically His responsibility.

Looking back at the story of the nation of Israel being lead out into the wilderness by God, He promised to care for them, to take responsibility for their survival, and to feed them. Their hunger was His responsibility to fill, for they were there because of His leading. The shepherd and sheep analogy is very poignant here, for a shepherd has a responsibility to feed his sheep. They follow him where he leads them, and their food is his responsibility. Jesus is our Good Shepherd (John 10:14) and is, thus, responsible to feed us and care for us.

Finally, He gave thanks for the seven loaves and few small fish. He didn't look to Heaven and blame the Father for the lack, but rather looked to the Father and thanked Him that they had anything at all. His thanks to the Father was the key that unlocked the provision of Heaven, and threw open the gates of Heaven's provision. The Lord loves thanksgiving and gratitude and really doesn't like complaining, grumbling and ungratefulness. As we learn to give thanks for that which the Lord has provided us, He will continue to pour forth blessing and provision.

So I am encouraged today to give thanks for everything that I have, even the smallest beginnings, for the Lord can bless anything with multiplication. I should learn to welcome my hunger as He leads me, for it is attractive to Him and causes His Spirit to rise up and fill me. He takes my hunger very seriously for He is my Good Shepherd.

In closing, I am reminded of these verses from Luke 11:9-13 NIV: “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. [10] For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

[11] “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? [12] Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? [13] If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment