Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Training and Transformation by the Holy Spirit


This morning I am reading from 2 Corinthians 3:4-6 NIV:

[4] "Such confidence we have through Christ before God. [5] Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God. [6] He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant---not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life."

Here is another interesting verse from 2 Corinthians 3:17-18 NIV:

[17] "Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. [18] And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit."

So clearly the theme of my morning meditations continues around the Holy Spirit. In these few Verses, Paul introduces some of the roles of the Spirit. In the first set of verses he talks about how God has made him competent as a minister of the new covenant, of the Spirit. This actually a every interesting word play, for we often say it is the spirit of the agreement that is important, meaning the intentionality. In this case that would be partially true, for the intentions of the new covenant are essential and a key component of the Gospel. In this case however, we are talking about an individual, hence the capitalization of the word. The Holy Spirit is the giver of life, and represents perfectly the intentionality of the new covenant and is the one who makes Paul competent as a minister of it. So the Holy Spirit really is the Spirit of the new covenant.

A few days ago I used the analogy of a tutor/teacher, here again it fits nicely. The Holy Spirit is Paul's trainer in establishing his competence. It is not Paul's study of the letter, but his training by the Holy Spirit that makes him competent. The good news for us all is that we have the same teacher. We can all become competent ministers of the new covenant. I know that is certainly my prayer.

The second set of verses speak of the Holy Spirit bringing freedom and causing us to be transformed into His image by the glory of the Lord. What an awesome deal - the Holy Spirit comes and sets us free, brings us into the Kingdom of God, and then causes us to become like Christ as we mediate on His glory. He sets us free from the letter, bringing us life instead, life filled with freedom. As we meditate and contemplate on this glorious reality, and on the glory of Jesus, the Holy Spirit transforms us. The Greek word Paul uses is Metamorphoo, which literally means being transformed into another form. This same word was used when Jesus was transfigured on the mountain top. We are not meant to just be nicer people, but to be changed into new people who reflect God's Glory here on earth. Paul says that we ARE being transformed, clearly indicating this happens here, and not just in eternity.

Oh Lord, I pray that these realities would be affected in my life. I want to be trained to be a competent minister of the new covenant! I was to be transformed by Your Glory, so that I might reflect Your Glory here on earth! I want to be transformed, becoming a new man! I want to experience freedom and life, for You bring both Holy Spirit. I am so thankful for Your constant work in my life, making me more like You.

No comments:

Post a Comment