Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Miracles and Repentance

I was reading in Matthew's Gospel this morning and came across this interesting set of verses concerning signs and wonders. Here are the verses - Matthew 11:20-24 NIV:

[20] "Then Jesus began to denounce the towns in which most of his miracles had been performed, because they did not repent. [21] “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. [22] But I tell you, it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you. [23] And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted to the heavens? No, you will go down to Hades. For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day. [24] But I tell you that it will be more bearable for Sodom on the day of judgment than for you."

Jesus points to the signs and wonders and miracles as the catalysts for repentance. They are meant to cause us to view ourselves against the reality of God, and His Kingdom of love. The right reaction to these miracles is repentance and salvation. The miracles that Jesus performed were an indication that He came from the Father, and proof that He was who He said He was. I am reminded of His statement in John 14:10-13 NIV: "Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. [11] Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. [12] Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. [13] And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son."

I again go back to the question of how we could think to (re)present Jesus to the world in any other way than He presented Himself. He came from the Father, and proved it through the signs and wonders that He accomplished. While good teaching and preaching is beneficial, it is supposed to be the signs and wonders that are the proof that what we say is true. In the same way as described by Jesus in the verses from Matthew, miracles are meant to draw people back to the Lord and cause them to change the mind and actions (repentance).

So let us not shy away from these signs and wonders, miracles and healings, rather let us press into the Lord for that which is our inheritance. We are meant to be His witnesses to the world, so let us press into the fullness of all the Lord wants us to experience in Him, that we might bear appropriate witness to Him. When we bear witness to Him, to His Glory, to His Kingdom, people will be drawn and will return to Him.

Amen Lord, we wait for You to reveal Yourself in power.

No comments:

Post a Comment