Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Our Sanctification, His Glorification!

This evening I am reading from Paul's second letter to the Thessalonians. The verses I am focused on are as follows - 2 Thessalonians 1:11-12 NIV:

[11] "With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may bring to fruition your every desire for goodness and your every deed prompted by faith. [12] We pray this so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ."

As I read these verses I am reminded of the teaching of St. Alphonsus De Liguori, a Catholic saint and teacher, called a doctor of the church because of his understanding and teaching of theology. He said that in all things God has two purposes. First, that all things if rightly understood and applied lead to our greater sanctification. Secondly, all things lead to the greater glorification of God. Our sanctification and His glorification. That is basically what Paul is saying here.

I like the fact that God is at work in my life, using His power to bring about my fruitfulness, encouraging me to goodness and faith. He desires my following after Him, and He doesn't just wait for me to accomplish this, but lends me a hand through His power present in my life. Again this strikes a similar theme, for His power present in my life is the Holy Spirit. He is present in me, helping me, encouraging me, working to help me desire goodness and faith-filled living.

He desires that His name would be glorified through our lives. That is actually a bit scary that He would actually let His name be associated with us. No matter how poorly we might represent Him, He has chosen this path and chooses to work in and through us as His primary representatives to the world. He does not leave us in our human weakness though, for He knows full well our human condition. He instead sends us Himself, in the form of the Holy Spirit , to live in each of us. That is just so amazing to me!

Paul knows that God is fully capable of doing exactly what he writes here, for God has done this very thing in his own life. Paul experienced the complete transformation of his life through the working of the power of God in his life. Paul experienced the miraculous, the amazing and the sovereignty of God at work in his own life. He was so transformed and affected by God's touch that he lived his life to glorify the name of Jesus. He was daily aided in this by the Holy Spirit working in and through him.

I am encouraged to ask the Lord for this same help and encouragement in my life. I need You to work in my life, through your power Lord. I want and need Your help to hear fruit through every good deed and act of faith. I want to bring You Glory Lord, that people might rightly ascribe glory to Your name. As I embrace You Lord, I will become more like You - sanctified.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment