Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Glorifying God In Our Normal Lives

Over the last few days I have been reading a great book by A.W. Tozer called "The Pursuit of God".  He s one of my favorite authors, and although He wrote in the 50s and 60s, his writings are very appropriate for today.  If you haven't read any of his books, I would highly recommend them.

Anyway, yesterday I was reading a section where he was talking about living our lives in such a way that everything we do brings glory to God.  Here is an excerpt - "Paul's exhortation to "do all to the glory of God" is more than pious idealism. It is an integral part of the sacred revelation and is to be accepted as the very Word of Truth. It opens before us the possibility of making every act of our lives contribute to the glory of God. Lest we should be too timid to include everything, Paul mentions specifically eating and drinking." (Tozer, The Pursuit of God).

As I was reading this I was reminded of Jesus'  early life of hiddenness.  We so often focus on His times of ministry, but the truth is that everything Jesus did and said was from the Father, even His life prior to His ministry.  Here is what Jesus said - John 8:28-29 NIV: "So Jesus said, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me. [29] The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases him.”  He always did what pleased the Father, and only spoke what the Father had taught or showed Him.  That is an amazing statement, and true of His times of ministry, as well as the times prior to ministry.

We see one little glimmer of insight into His early life, when He stayed behind in the temple, during His families yearly visit to Jerusalem.  In Luke, chapter 2:49 Jesus says in reply to His earthly parents, “Why were you searching for me?” he asked. “Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?” (Luke 2:49NIV).  Other translations have His reply, "Didn't you know I had to be about my Father's affairs (business)."  Even at that young age (12) He was cognizant of His Father's will and purpose and did and said what the Father showed Him.  The VAST majority of His life, that perfect obedience was living life completely hidden from the notice of most people, and silent in the field of ministry.  Yet, His complete life brought Glory to the Father and was one of perfect obedience.  We can conclude that His normal everyday life, working, eating, sleeping, interacting with His family and neighbors and friends was in the perfect will of the Father, and brought Him Glory.

So often we think to do great things for God, or to please Him, we need to be in the mission field, working with hundreds or thousands of people. While that does bring Him pleasure and glory, so does normal human life, lived with our eyes on Him.  A.W. Tozer had a whole section about maintaining our gaze upon the Lord, and that is what pleases the Lord, what draws us into relationship with Him.  Our day to day busyness often makes us think that we can't live our lives for His glory unless we are in ministry, but that just isn't the case according to model of Jesus' life.  When our lives are lived in relationship with Him, we are able to bring Him glory in everything we do.  He called us while we were "normal" people working normal jobs, and He does not immediately require us to drop everything to serve Him once we enter into relationship with Him.  Occasionally He calls someone to change life vocations, but I believe that is fairly rare in the overall body of Christ.  He likes us right where we are, doing what we are doing.  He has the opportunity to touch others through us right where we are today.

So I am encouraged to look to the Father, in intimate relationship, and to try and follow Him right where I am today.  I don't need to stop what I am doing to become a minister, there is plenty of ministry available all around us, in the lives of our friends, family, and co-workers.  Help me Lord to bring You Glory right here and right now.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment