Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, May 18, 2015

The "Power" Of The Holy Spirit

This morning I felt that I should read a bit from 2 Timothy.  It really is pretty amazing that two personal letters from Paul to Timothy are part of our canon, for they were so significant in content and teaching that the Church felt they should be included along side the other letters from Paul. He truly was an incredible witness to Christ,and a tireless evangelist.  The few verses I am focusing on today are as follows -   2 Timothy 1:6-12 NIV:

[6] "For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. [7] For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. [8] So do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner. Rather, join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God. [9] He has saved us and called us to a holy life---not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, [10] but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. [11] And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher. [12] That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet this is no cause for shame, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day."

There are several things that stand out to me as I read these verses.  First, the fact that the Spirit of God gives us power, love and self-discipline.  The Holy Spirit is not a weak spirit, or barely noticeable in His efforts.  He is powerful, bringing us gifts and understanding, the ability to love others and control our own bodies.  His gifts and charisms are life changing and critical to the life of the Body of Christ.  There is an empowering that changes lives, changes our perspectives, and changes the world.

I have heard the Holy Spirit described as basically a conscience infused with God's Wisdom that helps us make wise decision.  This description of the Holy Spirit pretty much limited Him to that role in our modern day church.  I think Paul would have a very different perspective.  All Paul's ministry was Holy Spirit powered.  This was not some gift that enabled Paul to be wise and follow God's leading, but rather was His very life, His source of strength, and the demonstrated reality of God's interaction with us.  Paul spoke of the Power of God, the Power of the Holy Spirit 70 times in His letters.  He said radical things like the following -

[4] "My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, [5] so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God's power." (1 Corinthians 2:4-5 NIV)

"For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power." (1 Corinthians 4:20)

"...because our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and deep conviction..." (1 Thessalonians 1:5)

"I will not venture to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me in leading the Gentiles to obey God by what I have said and done--- [19] by the power of signs and wonders, through the power of the Spirit of God. So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ." (Romans 15:18-19 NIV)

Paul, from the moment of his first encounter with Jesus, through the Holy Spirit, was aware that there was power and authority available to those that believed, and he relied upon the infilling of Holy Spirit (Acts 9:1-18).  Paul understood that the Holy Spirit was present to demonstrate the reality of the Kingdom of God to those who did not believe.  He relied upon the Holy Spirit's power to convince people of the truth that he spoke, not trusting in his own words, but rather in the indelible workings of the Holy Spirit.  He wanted people's faith to rest upon the power of God, not his words (1 Cor 2:5).  Oh, that we would step back into this understanding and practice.

Paul also recognized that the Holy Spirit empowered him to love others with a supernatural ability, loving those that hated him, persecuted him, and beat him.  He understood that is ability to stand in the midst of suffering was because of the power of the Holy Spirit. Paul writes the following -  "I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. [24] Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. [25] Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea,.." (2 Corinthians 11:23-25 NIV)  All of these experiences were survived through the power of the Holy Spirit giving life to his earthly body.  In spite of all of this suffering, he continued o burn with passion for the Lord, and love all he encountered.  Clearly this is not the strength of a natural man.

My final thought concerning these verses from Paul's letter to Timothy are that Paul also understood his selection had nothing to do with his own efforts or works.  In fact it was the exact opposite, he had done what he could to destroy the church, attacking the believers of Jesus and throwing them into prison, standing by while Stephen was stoned, and doing all he could to put an end to the ministry of the other Apostles.  None of those actions earned him the right to become Jesus' chosen herald (which shouldn't be surprising), yet the Lord chose him.  Paul put it like this - "not because of anything we have done but because of his (Jesus) own purpose and grace."(2 Tim 1:9)  If anyone understood the message of grace, and forgiveness of sins, it was Paul.  He understood that the Lord had chosen him, had forgiven him, had showed him unmerited favor, had given him power and authority far beyond anything he had ever experienced, and loved him in spite of all of his own sins and shortcomings.  He embraced the Lord, embraced the gifts and lived his life to bring Glory to Jesus.

So, this morning I am encouraged to lean into the Holy Spirit, expecting and relying upon His power.  I am encouraged to fan into flame the gifts the Lord has poured into me, that I might in some small way pay back the Lord by bringing Glory to His name. Nothing I have ever done, nor ever will do will be enough to earn me anything that comes close to what the Lord has already given me.

Thank You Lord for your amazing and unmerited blessings and gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment