Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Make Way For The THEN...

This morning I have been grazing on Paul's letter to the Romans.  I love reading large swaths of scripture and just letting the word settle into my heart.  I was reading over the following scripture and had a very simple thought enter my mind.  Here are the verses - Romans 12:4-8 NIV:

[4] "For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, [5] so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. [6] We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; [7] if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; [8] if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully."

I have always read these verses as a description of some of the gifts the Lord distributes, and it is that.  However, this morning the Lord highlighted something that was consistent across all the gifts, namely that they are meant to be used.  If your gift is prophecy, THEN prophesy, serving THEN serve, teaching THEN teach, encouragement THEN encourage, giving THEN give, etc.  The gifts are NOT given to sit on a shelf, they are meant to be used, and in the use of them, to become mature and more fruitful.  If we have been given a gift THEN we are called to use the gift.

As the Body of Christ, we must provide opportunities for all to exercise their gifts, to practice, to mature.  How else will we be built up and grow?  Most churches provide opportunities to serve, some even provide opportunities for 10-20% of the members to exercise their gifts, but what about everyone else?  It is my belief that the Body needs the gifts of all, functioning and mature. To enable this we must embrace a culture that values all the people and all their gifts.  Who are we to decide which gifts, given by the Lord, are more or less valuable.  I think that if the Lord imparted them, then they must be extremely valuable and of great importance to the Body of Christ.

Let us pray for new paradigms and new perspectives in the Body of Christ that enable and invest in the gifts of us all.  Let us work to develop and grow, using the gifts that we have been given, according to the grace given us, and our faith.  Let us make way for the gifts of all to mature and grow. Let us make way for the THEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment