Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Sinners and Lost Sheep

This morning I am reading out of Luke's Gospel.  I find myself constantly drawn back to the Gospels, as I love to read about and meditate on Jesus, and His life and actions.  He exactly represents the Father (Heb. 1:3), so as I understand Him, I understand the Father and the Holy Spirit.

Here are the verses I am thinking about today - Luke 15:1-7 NIV:

[1] "Now the tax collectors and sinners were all gathering around to hear Jesus. [2] But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, “This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.”

[3] "Then Jesus told them this parable: [4] “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn't he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? [5] And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders [6] and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.' [7] I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent."

As I read these verses and the rest of the chapter in Luke, it is clear that the Lord is addressing the issue of sin, sinners and the Father's heart towards such as these.  He is addressing the Pharisees, in front of the sinners and tax-collectors, and talking about the latter.  If there ever was a teachable moment for the Pharisees, this was it.  They were on the spot, in front of those they had judged sinners, and Jesus attempts to open their eyes to the Father's heart concerning sinners.

The Pharisees carried themselves above others, believing themselves righteous by their own works.  They did everything they could to remain righteous, including separating themselves from the so-called "sinners".  According to the law, to accidentally touch anything that was touched by one who was unclean would make them unclean (Num 19:22), and they couldn't risk that happening, so they effectively separated themselves from any interaction with sinners. This was one of their main issues with Jesus, for He actually hung out with sinners so He couldn't possibly be from the Father, who required only righteousness.

Jesus' actions and words completely rejected this notion and idea.  This story is a great example, for the lost sheep represents the sinner and the Father's heart is seen in the one who searches for the lost sheep.  Rather than rejecting the sinner the shepherd goes in search of them, for there is value in that lost sheep.  The people understood this story, if for no other reason than they understood the value of the sheep. Jesus tells the next story about a woman who lost a coin to illustrate the idea of the lost being valuable (see Luke 15: 8-10).  Jesus makes it clear that the Father values those that are lost and rather than rejecting them, goes in search of them, and rejoices when they are found and brought home!  This is such a different picture of the Father than the angry God waiting in heaven to punish the sinner.  The image of the angry God was an incorrect understanding of God popular amongst the "righteous" of Jesus time, and unfortunately a teaching that continues to be preached today.

Jesus tells the story of the lost son in this same chapter of Luke's Gospel, and one of the main point in that story is the Father's heart toward his son who clearly sins against Him.  The Father, rather than punishing him, welcomes him back and restores him to relationship and to his position in the family (see Luke 15: 11-32).   This is such an amazing story of the Father's heart towards us, and it just like the lost sheep in this story, there is rejoicing when the lost returned home!

Finally, Jesus last statement in verse 7, about the ninety-nine righteous, is interesting and important to understand.  He was speaking to the Pharisees who considered themselves righteous, and thus saw no reason or need to repent. Jesus was not talking about their value to  the Father, for they all had equal value.  Rather He was making a counter-point here, for the Pharisees would have said that statement exactly the opposite.  They thought they were the ones that heaven would be rejoicing over, for they were the righteous (self-appointed).  Jesus is describing the Father's heart toward sinners once more and He wanted the people to clearly understand that sinners were welcome.  The Father, rather than rejecting the sinners, welcomes them and rejoices when they return home.

This morning I am encouraged to look to my own attitudes and actions towards "sinners", myself included.  I am encouraged to look at my understanding of the Father and how I approach Him when I sin.  I am encouraged to look at how we as a Church interact with the lost.  I am encouraged to open my heart and welcome fellow "sinners".  They need us to help them to understand the Father's heart towards them, for the enemy continues to try to convince us all that the Father is an angry God waiting to punish the sinners, and that just isn't the case!

No comments:

Post a Comment