Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Prayer and Responsibility

The other evening, my good friend Dave asked an interesting question regarding providing spiritual covering.  We talked briefly about it, but there really isn't much in scripture about that specific topic.  Here are some scriptures I have found yesterday and this morning concerning our call and responsibilities towards each other.  By no means is this an exhaustive look at this topic, but rather a quick coverage of the basic themes surrounding the topic, personal responsibility, our call as members of the Body of Christ, and Jesus' role.

The scriptures -

John 13:34 NIV
[34] “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

1 Peter 4:8 NIV
[8] "Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins."

John 17:11-12, 15 NIV
[11] "I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one. [12] While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled."

[15] "My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one."

1 Corinthians 13:6-7 NIV
[6] "Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. [7] It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."

If I read this correctly, basically the love we have for one another, the care we give to each other is the covering.  Jesus himself prays and prayed over us and provides us the protective covering by the power of His name.

There is an idea in the Church that in some way we are responsible to provide spiritual covering, and somehow are responsible for people under us, but I don't know that really fits into the reality of each of us being directly a son and daughter of the Lord, nor does it really have any New Testament scriptural basis that I can find so far.  To be clear, by responsibility, I mean that we in some way are held accountable by the Lord for someone else's life and choices. There is certainly a part of that which is true for Fathers and Mothers of children, but once children are of age to make their own decisions, they begin having responsibility for their own decisions.

In the old testament, there are a few sections in Ezekiel that speak of responsibilities to stand in the gap and provide warnings to the people:

Ezekiel 22:30-31 NIV
[30] “I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found no one. [31] So I will pour out my wrath on them and consume them with my fiery anger, bringing down on their own heads all they have done, declares the Sovereign Lord. ”

Ezekiel 33:7-9 NIV
[7] “Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the people of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me. [8] When I say to the wicked, 'You wicked person, you will surely die, ' and you do not speak out to dissuade them from their ways, that wicked person will die for their sin, and I will hold you accountable for their blood. [9] But if you do warn the wicked person to turn from their ways and they do not do so, they will die for their sin, though you yourself will be saved."

- and finally a section on how each person is responsible for their own sin...

Ezekiel 33:12-20 NIV
[12] “Therefore, son of man, say to your people, 'If someone who is righteous disobeys, that person's former righteousness will count for nothing. And if someone who is wicked repents, that person's former wickedness will not bring condemnation. The righteous person who sins will not be allowed to live even though they were formerly righteous.' [13] If I tell a righteous person that they will surely live, but then they trust in their righteousness and do evil, none of the righteous things that person has done will be remembered; they will die for the evil they have done. [14] And if I say to a wicked person, 'You will surely die,' but they then turn away from their sin and do what is just and right--- [15] if they give back what they took in pledge for a loan, return what they have stolen, follow the decrees that give life, and do no evil---that person will surely live; they will not die. [16] None of the sins that person has committed will be remembered against them. They have done what is just and right; they will surely live.

[17] “Yet your people say, 'The way of the Lord is not just.' But it is their way that is not just. [18] If a righteous person turns from their righteousness and does evil, they will die for it. [19] And if a wicked person turns away from their wickedness and does what is just and right, they will live by doing so. [20] Yet you Israelites say, 'The way of the Lord is not just.' But I will judge each of you according to your own ways.”


When I look at the earlier sections from Ezekiel, these roles, both one who stands in the gap to turn back judgement, and speaking to individuals - warning them of the dangers of their sin, are what the Lord does in each of our lives.  He is the Lord, the only one capable of saving anyone.  His blood covers us and protects us from the enemy and punishment for our sins.  He sits at the right hand of the Father constantly interceding for us.  He covers us, and hides us within Himself, providing us His righteousness. He is our primary intercessor, and He is our saviour.  He alone. The following verse from the letter to the Hebrews speaks of His intercession and His priestly role.

Hebrews 7:24-25 NIV:
[24] "...but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood. [25] Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them."

The Holy Spirit, as part of the God-head also intercedes for us as described in the following two verse:

Romans 8:26-27 NIV:
[26] "In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. [27] And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God's people in accordance with the will of God."

So, putting these verses together and looking at the sections of Ezekiel, we see that Jesus is our intercessor and our savior.  He is the one we must turn to, each of us individually.  Each of us bears the consequences of our own sin and decisions.  We are each judged for our own ways.  Thus, while we want to cover each other with love and prayer, each of us is truly responsible for themselves before the Lord.

After writing this and thinking a bit more about this, I felt like the Lord said that there is also legitimate role of intercessor in the church and one that we can be invited to partake in.  This can be both a gift and calling. We are also called to pray for each other, and prayers are definitely effective. Praying for each other is part of our loving one another.  Paul was constantly asking his fellow members of the Body of Christ to pray for him.  He was constantly praying for all the churches and their members.  We are encouraged to pray for each other constantly.

Here are just some verses on prayer and the role of intercession (as described but not mentioned specifically):

Romans 15:30-32 NIV:
[30] "I urge you, brothers and sisters, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me. [31] Pray that I may be kept safe from the unbelievers in Judea and that the contribution I take to Jerusalem may be favorably received by the Lord's people there, [32] so that I may come to you with joy, by God's will, and in your company be refreshed."

That verse very clearly show the invitation to intercession in a place of prayer.

Acts 12:5 NIV:
"So Peter was kept in prison, but the church was earnestly praying to God for him."

2 Corinthians 1:10-11 NIV:
[10] "He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us again. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, [11] as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many."

Ephesians 6:18-20 NIV:
[18] "And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people. [19] Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, [20] for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should."

James 5:16 NIV:
"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective."

1 Timothy 2:1-6 NIV:
[1] "I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people--- [2] for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. [3] This is good, and pleases God our Savior, [4] who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. [5] For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, [6] who gave himself as a ransom for all people. This has now been witnessed to at the proper time."

So we are urged and encouraged to pray for each other, for the Body of Christ, for leaders, for nations, for salvation to come, for protection and effective ministry.  Jesus told us to pray for God's Kingdom to come to earth.  Prayer is one of the core pillars of the Church.  It is vitally important and part of our call and invitation as a member of the Body of Christ. We are invited, but no where do I see the Lord say we are held responsible for specific prayers or covering someone in prayer.

So let us pray for each other, love each other deeply and give ourselves to the Lord, our savior, redeemer and intercessor.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment