Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, March 13, 2016

He Came to Save Not to Judge

This morning I was continuing my reading of John's Gospel, and ran across these verses where Jesus is speaking about judgement, and where He says every word He spoke was directed by the Father - John 12:44-50 NIV:

[44] Then Jesus cried out, “Whoever believes in me does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me. [45] The one who looks at me is seeing the one who sent me. [46] I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness.

[47] “If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world. [48] There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day. [49]  For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken. [50] I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.” [50] I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.”

Both of the major themes in these few verses are so important.  First Jesus says very clearly that He is representing the Father.  If we see Him, we see the Father who sent Him.  His words, His actions, His heart for the lost, downtrodden and sinners all represent the same in the Father.  He continues on in verse 49, "For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken."  This is why it is so important to study and meditate on the words Jesus spoke, for they came from the Father.

Secondly, Jesus addresses judgment.  This is so important for the Church to understand, Jesus didn't come to judge the world, but to save the world!  We are often so quick to take up a task that Jesus himself would not take up.  He wasn't here to judge and condemn, which if we look at the verses above also means that this is exactly the approach the Father takes as well, for if we see Jesus, if we Hear His words, we are seeing and hearing the Father.  This is the Father's heart, not to judge but to save!

It is interesting in this context that Jesus actually makes these two approaches opposites (at least in a literary form).  I am saddened that so many experience the church, the Body of Christ, as judgmental, for this is clearly not the Father's heart. Our purpose and words should be focused on salvation not on judgment, just as Jesus' were.

Lord, please help us to correctly represent You, Your words and Your heart to all we meet.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment