Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, March 28, 2016

The Final Exam

This morning I opened my Bible to a set of verses that describes the heart of the Father so well - Matthew 25:34-40 NIV:

[34] “Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. [35] For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, [36] I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

[37] “Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? [38] When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? [39] When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

[40] “The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'"

As a thought, there is no comment from the King regarding their following the rules, their judging others effectively, their separating themselves from the world, their bringing others into alignment with right teaching.  Instead, I see nothing but love, acceptance, care and an expression of the significance of all, especially the lowly.

These are the words of Jesus, at the direction of the Father, for He only said what the Father told Him to say (John 12:49), so these words reflect the Father's heart.  It is interesting that Jesus is describing the final judgment and the judgments are being made based on one's care and concern for others.  It would seem that if Jesus were talking about the final judgment that He would be giving insight into the most important things.  I think of it  as If your teacher was preparing you for your final exam, and going over the things you will be tested on during the final.  The teacher would hopefully not be going over a bunch of stuff that is not on the test, but rather telling you exactly what you needed to know to pass the test. Thus, I feel these verses are very important for us to understand and embrace.

As I was thinking about these verses I was reminded of similar verses from Isaiah 58:6-12 NIV:

[6] “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?
[7] Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter---
when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
[8] Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.
[9] Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.
“If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk,
[10] and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday.
[11] The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.
[12] Your people will rebuild the ancient ruins and will raise up the age-old foundations;
you will be called Repairer of Broken Walls, Restorer of Streets with Dwellings."

These verses from Isaiah follow a section where the prophet was calling out false religion.  He described a people who followed the rules, but whose hearts were far from Him, and who clearly were not embracing His intentions.

So today, I am encouraged to look at my faith, and to look at my actions and compare them against these verses.  I am encouraged to view my heart and my thoughts, to bring them into alignment with what the Lord says, to prepare myself for the final exam.

Lord, please help me to accurately reflect Your heart to all those I meet, especially those in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment