Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Listen, Follow, Be Known

This morning I am continuing my reading out of John's Gospel.  These next few verses definitely fill me with hope.

John 10:27-30 NIV:

[27] My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. [28] I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. [29] My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all ; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. [30] I and the Father are one.”

If I ever doubt Christ's ability to save, these verses should settle my heart and mind.

Looking closely at what Jesus says, as sheep we are supposed to listen and follow Him.  It is more than hearing, more than just listening, but actual following.  I know there are many times in my life I hear His voice, but I don't take action and thus I am not following.  I am reminded of people who have selective hearing (I am guilty of this as well) who only respond when they choose to hear.  I am reminded of times I used to lay on the couch reading and my Mom would be asking me something, and I would just ignore her.  I heard her voice but I never let it register and never got up off the couch.  I knew her voice, but I didn't listen really and I certainly didn't follow her directives.  (Sorry Mom).

I believe that Jesus is identifying the characteristics of those who will receive eternal life - those who listen and follow.  To follow someone means to do what they are doing.  We learned the game follow the leader as little children, and it really isn't any different as adults.  If we say we are followers of Christ, then we should be doing what He is doing, He is the leader and we are His followers.

In addition, Jesus says that He knows them.  The Greek word that is used here, as recorded by John is ginosko and it is defined as:

1) to learn to know, come to know, get a knowledge of perceive, feel
   a) to become known
2) to know, understand, perceive, have knowledge of
   a) to understand
   b) to know
3) Jewish idiom for sexual intercourse between a man and a woman
4) to become acquainted with, to know

We are not talking casual knowledge here, like just knowing someone's name.  We are talking about a knowledge of what they think, feel, say and do.  Jesus desires to know us in this way, and to be known in this way.  The only way that In know to get to know someone else is through spending time with them.  I can read what they wrote, listen to what they have said, and observe their actions, but there is nothing like spending time with them in conversation.  the whole of that is how I define my prayer times.

So today, I am encouraged to listen AND follow, and to spend more and more time with You!  I want to be identified as one of Your followers.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment