Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Testifying to the Truth

This morning I am reading out of John's Gospel.  I am thinking about Jesus statement about Himself found in the following verse - John 18:37 NIV:

“You are a king, then!” said Pilate.
Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. In fact, the reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.”

Jesus is in the final stages of His life and here He sums up His life concisely.  He was born and came into the world to testify to the truth.  This is one of those statements that just needs to be unpacked, for it sounds simple, yet we know that Jesus' life was anything but simple.

I was just doing some research on the word truth, and it is used 102 times in the New Testament, and 42 of those times by John and is one of his key themes.  In fact, the other Gospels hardly use the word, and in only in general descriptions of God's law or character.  This idea of truth was expanded by Paul, as the majority of other uses in the New Testament are by him.

The Greek word translated truth is the word Aletheia, and is defined as follows:

1) what is true in any matter under consideration
   a) truly, in truth, according to truth
   b) of a truth, in reality, in fact, certainly
2) what is true in things appertaining to God and the duties of man, moral and religious truth
   a) in the greatest latitude
   b) the true notions of God which are open to human reason without his supernatural intervention
3) the truth as taught in the Christian religion, respecting God and the execution of his purposes through Christ, and respecting the duties of man, opposing alike to the superstitions of the Gentiles and the inventions of the Jews, and the corrupt opinions and precepts of false teachers even among Christians

Based on this definition, we understand that Jesus was likely speaking in the fullness of the word.  He stated that He was the truth (John 14:6).  He was revealing the truth of Heaven, for He came from there (John 6:51).  He was calling us to embrace the truth, for it would set us free (John 8:32).  He was representing the Father to us perfectly (Heb 1:3) and thus presenting us the Father truthfully. He called us to worship in truth (John 4:24).  He calls us to represent the truth as His witnesses to the ends of the world (Acts 1:8).

In the original verse, Jesus said that He came to testify to the truth.  The word translated testify is the Greek word Martureo, and it is defined as being a witness to something, bearing witness.  It is also where the word martyr came from.  Jesus was effectively bearing witness to the truth with His whole life.  He has seen the Father, came from Heaven, and was now revealing (bearing witness) what he had seen and experienced.  He was leading us all into this truth, and the truth would become  the foundation of our faith (for He is the truth).

I was just thinking that there is a revelation of Truth, about Himself that He wants me to grasp this morning.  I felt like I should read from John's tenth chapter.  Here are some things Jesus says about Himself there - John 10:24-30, 34-38 NIV:

[24] The Jews who were there gathered around him, saying, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.”

[25] Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works (miracles) I do in my Father's name testify about me, [26] but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. [27] My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. [28] I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. [29] My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all ; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. [30] I and the Father are one.”

[34] Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are “gods” ' ? [35] If he called them 'gods,' to whom the word of God came---and Scripture cannot be set aside--- [36] what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, 'I am God's Son'? [37] Do not believe me unless I do the works of my Father. [38] But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works (miracles), that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.”

In my paper Bible, an earlier NIV translation, rather than works, the word miracles is used in the previous verses.  The actual Greek word is Ergon, and it is defined as the work or employment one is about, and ones accomplishments.  For Jesus this would have included healing the sick, feeding the masses, casting out demons, healing the blind, the deaf, the leprous and raising the dead.  His works, the miracles, were the signs that pointed to His being from God the Father, and were representative of the Father.  This is part of the Truth, part of the revelation, part of His witness.  In fact, when you look closely at what Jesus says here, the works themselves are the condition upon which people were to believe.  He says in verse 37 - "Do not believe me unless I do the works of the Father."

Wow, that is a challenging statement, especially if we were to apply it to today's churches.  The truth must be witnessed to, and we are those by which the truth must be presented.  If the main proof of the truth of Jesus ministry are the "works" than we should be pressing into the Father to see Him work through us in similar ways.  If we truly represent the Father, than our works would be similar to Jesus' works, for we are just continuing His witness, His testimony of the Father's character and nature.

Amen Lord, draw us into Your truth, that we might be Your witnesses!

No comments:

Post a Comment