Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, July 18, 2019

Familiarity and Offense

This morning I am continuing my reflections from Mark's Gospel.  Yesterday I was reflecting on the cure of the man with the withered hand and the amazing way news about Jesus spread throughout the region, and caused huge crowds to gather pressing in to touch him that they could be healed.  Today its a few chapters later, and I am reflecting on almost the exact opposite reaction to Jesus that occurred in His hometown.  Here are the verses - Mark 6:1-6 NIV:

[1] "Jesus left there and went to his hometown, accompanied by his disciples. [2] When the Sabbath came, he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were amazed."

“Where did this man get these things?” they asked. “What's this wisdom that has been given him? What are these remarkable miracles he is performing? [3] Isn't this the carpenter? Isn't this Mary's son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas and Simon? Aren't his sisters here with us?” And they took offense at him."

[4] "Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own town, among his relatives and in his own home.” [5] He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. [6] He was amazed at their lack of faith."

"Then Jesus went around teaching from village to village."

Again, Mark is the master of conciseness.  This story is also covered in Matthew's Gospel and a slightly different version in Luke's.  The point is important enough that all three Gospel writers included this happening. 

As I first look at this story I think there are two major points, taking offense and the lack of faith limiting God's ability to act.  I have reflected on both of these over the years.  However, today the point that stood out for me was the particulars of Jesus statement in verse 4, "A prophet is not without honor except in his own town, among his relatives and in his own home."  The specific inclusion of home and relatives caught my attention today, which causes me to want to think through why that would be, and wondering if that is always the case?

As I am thinking through this, I think I would like to expand this definition to include our modern equivalent of neighborhood, and maybe even our church congregations.  The point is that it is where the person (prophet in this case) is known that there is not honor. In this case the word that is translated Honor is the Greek word 'atimos" and it means not honored, not valued, even despised, which are pretty strong statements. 

So my question, as I apply this to my life, is whether or not this would be my reaction?  Would I allow my past history, my intimate knowledge of a person, my remembrance of a persons sins (obviously this is not the case with Jesus), or disinterest in me and my affairs to cause me to dishonor or even despise them, should they be called and used by God? 

It almost seems like it should be the opposite, that our knowledge of the individual and their foibles and imperfections, and yet the witness of God using them, should cause us to glorify God, for it is clearly not due to the person's abilities or character that God is working in them and through them!  We should rejoice that God can use someone like us! 

I think this is such an important point for us in the church!  We want fine and upstanding leaders who are perfect in every way, and when we find out they aren't we become jaded, wounded, offended and sometimes even walk away from God.  Here was the only perfect man to ever walk the earth, and people found a way to be offended by Him, and lose faith in God's ability to work through Him.  It isn't about God's ability, or choice of a man, it is about our expectations and own selfishness! 

Why should we expect our leaders to be any less sinful then we are?  Why would we expect to always have them focused on us and our needs, when we are not that way to others?  Why would we expect a person to have walked perfectly in their entire life, never having strayed off the path of righteousness??  Why would we think that a person can't grow and change and really repent?   We are so quick to jettison those that are shown to be "human" like us, from rolls of leadership, or from places of honor in our minds and hearts.  We are equally quick to disqualify ourselves from being used of God for the same reasons!

What if we decided to value each other as the Lord values us?  What if we decided to trust Him to choose those He will use, and work through?  What if we let Him choose us?  It seems God is not particularly picky - Jesus said that the stones would cry out to glorify Him if the people didn't (Luke 19:40).  In other words, all of us can be used by God to bring Him Glory! 

This morning I am encouraged to choose to give value to those who I know, those I am closest too, as able to be used by God!  I choose to believe that God could even use me, in spite of my own issues.  I choose to believe that God is able to change people's hearts, their minds and even their character and that previous history is not a good indication or limitation of what God can do in the future - and I must include myself in this!

Thank You Lord, that You are about moving in our lives, and You choose to use people like me!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment