Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, July 3, 2019

What Do I Have??

This morning I am reflecting on some verses from Acts 3:2-8 NIV:

[2] "Now a man who was lame from birth was being carried to the temple gate called Beautiful, where he was put every day to beg from those going into the temple courts. [3] When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for money. [4] Peter looked straight at him, as did John. Then Peter said, “Look at us!” [5] So the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them."

[6] Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.” [7] Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up, and instantly the man's feet and ankles became strong. [8] He jumped to his feet and began to walk. Then he went with them into the temple courts, walking and jumping, and praising God."

I love this story, and this morning my question is do I have the same relationship and authority as Peter did?  That is what he "had" that he gave to the crippled man.  Peter was filled with the Holy Spirit (See Acts 2) and he had experienced that powerful infilling.  They were encouraged and seeing fruit borne from their prayers, from their preaching, from their fellowship.  They had walked with Jesus, been encouraged by Jesus, been corrected by Jesus, and were loved by Jesus.  He was gone to heaven, but they were clear about their role as His followers.  They walked in constant relationship with the Holy Spirit, and were now Jesus' representatives on earth.

In my life, I could say most the same things are true, although to a lesser extent.  So my question - to me - is why do I struggle in prayer, in following Jesus, in seeing prayers answered, in just being a good representative of Jesus, in bearing Jesus with me and walking in His authority?

I think my biggest issue is distraction and focus.  I saw a quote the other day by some famous man of God, saying something like 'I need to be reminded every day of my salvation, because every day I forget I am saved'.  That probably isn't an accurate quote, but it struck me as true, at least in my life.  I can be fully focused on the Lord in prayer and reflection, and once I start my work day, forget that time of fellowship and relationship and barely think about Him again.  I find myself walking right by people who are in need of Jesus, and I don't even think of Him, or realize that I am His representative now.  I am often so focused on my own stuff, that I forget that I have a greater purpose in Him.

Going back to the story, as a beggar, the crippled man would hope that someone actually noticed Him, for in eye contact, one is confronted with the need.  That is the reason panhandlers, and those that hold signs at intersections look at the cars, they are trying to establish eye contact!  As we sit in our cars, we work hard to ignore their need, trying not to look their direction, to expose ourselves to their need.  In this story, it was Peter and John who told the man to look at them, and I am sure he was a bit surprised, and clearly expected to receive something from these two men.  They were confident in what they did have, although they had no money, they had Holy Spirit, who was their help to Glorify Jesus!  They knew Jesus, they knew He healed those that came to Him, those that needed healing, and so they extended healing in His name, for they represented Him!

Oh Lord, that I might remember who I am, whose I am, and who I am filled with!  That I might be Your representative to a needy world, to those I see, to those I encounter!  Help me to remember every day, and all day long!  Help me to bring Glory to Your Name!  Help me remember that I have You!

No comments:

Post a Comment