Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, July 22, 2019

The End and the New Beginning

This morning I am reflecting on one of the most interesting statements Jesus made, and they were His last words.  We find them recorded in John 19:28-30 NIV:

[28] "Later, knowing that everything had now been finished, and so that Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, “I am thirsty.” [29] A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus' lips. [30] When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit."

My first thought in reading this verse this morning, is that while this should have been the end, it was not!  Three days later Jesus was resurrected and what seemed finished or ended at the moment on the cross has continued on since Jesus rose from the dead!  What a glorious story we are part of, for His ministry continues on in the church.

My second thought was wondering what exactly Jesus said, looking back to the Greek language that was used to record His final words.  John was writing in Greek, so He used the word "Teleo".  This like many words has a few possible definitions, depending on how it is used in context.  As I am not a Greek scholar, I can only report the whole list of possible definitions, as follows:

1) to bring to a close, to finish, to end
    a) passed, finished
2) to perform, execute, complete, fulfil, (so that the thing done corresponds to what has been said, the order, command etc.)
    a) with special reference to the subject matter, to carry out the contents of a command
    b) with reference also to the form, to do just as commanded, and generally involving the notion of time, to perform the last act which completes a process, to accomplish, fulfil
3) to pay
    a) of tribute

As I reflect on each of these, I can see in them Jesus' fulfillment, and statement as it relates to His life to that point.  He had perfectly fulfilled the requirements of the Law, and fulfilled the prophesies that had been spoken about Him.  He paid the debt of man's sin.  He had fulfilled the commands of the Father to perfection.  He had laid down His life for us all!  He had  performed the last act required to fulfill all that He had come to do!  I heard someone say, in regards to paying for our sins, that it was as if He was saying "Paid in Full" and that no other payment would ever have to be made.

To put it in a context that I can understand, for much of which I just wrote I understand intellectually, but clearly not in the fullness of what they mean eternally.  As I was reflecting on this paid in full, I thought of what it would feel like to make the final payment on my house (which hasn't happened yet).  When I write that last check there will be a sense of completeness!  I will never have to write another check for this house (Other than taxes, which is a completely different story).  The Mortgage company will send me a letter indicating the house is paid in full!  I will have no debt hanging over my life!  I will be quite joyful and it will signal my transition into a new age for me, one of being debt free.  I am grateful that I don't worry about this debt, as I am well able to handle the monthly payments, but the sense of responsibility and commitment never leaves me.  At that point, I believe that I will experience a sense of sweet relief and release!  If I take this idea and multiply it by 20 Billion I might gain some small perspective of what it meant when Jesus uttered these words!

The best news is that being paid in full isn't the end!  It is essentially the beginning of a new era, a new reality!  In the life of the apostles and Jesus disciples, that new era started 3 days later, when Jesus rose from the dead.  He appeared to them several times over the next few days and then spent a considerable time (See Acts 1:3)  with them continuing to teach them about the Kingdom, before finally ascending to Heaven.  The Apostles knew that Jesus' ministry and message was now their responsibility, and we continue that responsibility to this day! 

Lord, I pray that You will help me grasp all that You did for me that day!  Help me to join myself to that which continues to this day!  Help me to embrace this "new beginning" and follow You. 

Thank You for this incredible gift that You have given us all! 

Amen!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment