Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, May 10, 2020

Of Mary and Moms


This morning as I was sitting down to pray, reflecting on the fact that it is Mother's Day, I thought of the example of Mary, the mother of Jesus.  I thought it would be good to reflect on her motherhood, so I will look at some of the scriptural accounts starting with the following - Luke 2:6-7,15-19,28-35 NIV:

[6] While they were there (Bethelehem), the time came for the baby to be born, [7] and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them.


[15] When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let's go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”

[16] So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. [17] When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, [18] and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. [19] But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.


[28] Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying:

[29] “Sovereign Lord, as you have promised, you may now dismiss your servant in peace. [30] For my eyes have seen your salvation, [31] which you have prepared in the sight of all nations: [32] a light for revelation to the Gentiles, and the glory of your people Israel.”

[33] The child's father and mother marveled at what was said about him. [34] Then Simeon blessed them and said to Mary, his mother: “This child is destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be spoken against, [35] so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your own soul too.”

We are probably all familiar with the Christmas story of Mary and Joseph, and Jesus being born in a manager, but have we ever reflected on this story from the eyes of Mary?  Maybe you have, myself, not so much.  As I started rereading these verses this morning I couldn't help but think of Mary's situation as she gave birth to Jesus, she was outside, in a barn-like structure, away from her family, her mother, or any of her friends who might have helped her through her first birth!   I like how Luke just passes over the drama and trauma of this birth.  I would hope that Joseph was a help to Mary, but as far as we know it was up to her, and in spite of the ordeal, she absolutely nailed it. 

For me, that is one of the things that I think all great Mom's are able to do, they deal with stuff, and I mean crazy stuff, and somehow keep it together!  After Jesus was born, Mary wraps him in clothes, and almost immediately has a bunch of guests crashing their "just gave birth, I am sure I look great" moment.  A bunch of shepherds show up and start telling them about this awesome angelic experience.  Luke tells us that Mary treasured up all these things in her heart.  That is such beautiful expression of a Mother, someone who treasures memories of their children in her heart.  I wonder if the Holy Spirit inspired Luke to write that or if He talked to Mary himself? It is quite possible that Mary, though old, was still alive when Luke wrote this in 63AD.  She would have been close to 80 most likely. 

Anyway, continuing on, we have Simeon prophesying to Mary and Joseph when they bring Jesus to be dedicated.  Again, we have a very clear description of what is said to Mary, and Simeon finishes with the lovely, "and a sword will pierce your own soul too."  I don't think any mother would lie to hear that, but again, that is the experience of every mother, their hearts are pierced for their children!  A Mother's love is so deep, that any struggle, any pain, any difficulty their child experiences is shared by her.  In verse 33, we are told that Joseph and Mary marveled at what was said about Jesus, and that reaction is also so true of any loving mother.  Regardless of the compliment about their child, the child's accomplishment, however small, or the new developmental stage a child goes through, their mother is going to celebrate it and treasure it! 

As I think back to my childhood, and I think of the way I was raised by my Mother, I see many parallels in Mary's love for Jesus. As I think back to my Honey's raising of our children, I know that she experiences many of the these same things.  I am in awe of the love, the affection, the heart-treasuring, the wonder celebrating, the faithful and unconditional love I have seen on display!  I am so grateful for my own mother, and for my honey, the mother of our children, for their witness to love and care that is truly life changing!

I am so grateful for the love of these women!  Their witness of loving their children, of laying down their lives, is proof to me that it is possible to follow Jesus' command.  Thank You Lord for my Mom, and for my wife!  They are a great gift to us all!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment