Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, May 5, 2020

What Time Is This?

This morning I felt led to read from another Old Testament book, Ecclesiastes.  I seldom read from this book, but I know a couple of famous verses from that book, so that was what I thought about as I opened it, and that is exactly where I turned.  The verses might be familiar as there was a song written in the 60s by the Byrds to these words - Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 NIV:

[1] There is a time for everything,
 and a season for every activity under the heavens:
[2] a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
[3] a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
[4] a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
[5] a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
[6] a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
[7] a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
[8] a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace."

These verses always seemed a bit comforting, as they help to explain the seasonality of life.  We definitely go through different seasons, and change is one of the only constants in our lives.  We are constantly changing, developing, learning, interacting with people.

What I found myself thinking this morning, is that we are in an in-between time, as several of these statements apply equally well right now.  I think that is part of the struggle for many of us, we need clarity and direction, and yet, things are muddy and confusing. 

Times where we are in-between are always times of transition.  We are leaving something to go into something new, but when the transition is slow it can be confusing, almost like we are stuck somewhere in the middle of a maze, and we don't know which way to go to move on!  This is why its so important to look to the One who can see the beginning from the end, to the One who has a different perspective, to the One who loves us and guides.  The Holy Spirit is our helper, our counselor, our teacher, and our guide (John 14:161,27 & John 16:13).  He will help us every day, but especially during times like these. 

I don't know what things will look like on the other side of this time, but I do expect them to be different.  We are moving forward, not backwards.  As we turn to the Lord, we can lean upon His understanding, and we can trust that He is good, loving, merciful and kind.  We can pray and ask the Lord for greater understanding and perspective, so that we might be ready when we leave this time of transition.  We can ask the Lord to prepare us, to train us, so that when the next door opens we can move through it and into our purpose and calling, fully engaged.

As I was writing that last bit I saw in my mind's eye the landing craft from D-Day steaming towards the distant shore.  I don't know that I like that image, but the truth is that the men that were in those landing craft were trained to do what they needed to do the moment the ramp went down. They were part of a much bigger plan, and huge move that was the beginning of the end of the German war machine.  They were prepared, and had been trained to rely on each other, to work together, to advance into the face of danger, but a danger that they were able to defeat. 

Let us believe that we have in us the strength and character to move past this present time into our purpose and calling.  As Paul preached to the people of Athens, "And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings," (Acts 17:26 NKJV).  In other words, He chose us to be alive in this exact time, living exactly where we live, and it is part of His plan for us all.  We are not here by mistake, we are a people of destiny!  Just like the generation f men that struggled in WWII, we are a generation that has been appointed this time.  Rest assured God has this all in His hands.

In summary, I am encouraged to look to the Lord, to allow Him to guide me and direct me, to listen to His voice to tell me which way to walk, how to move forward!  I can expect Him to prepare me for anything and everything I might encounter once this time of transition ends.  Lord, help me to move forward in You, in Your peace, in Your strength and power.  Help me to step into the new season prepared and ready!

Amen!


May the Lord Bless you with clear vision and a clear mind this day!  May He give you understanding and courage to move forward into His Glorious purpose and plan.

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment