Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Representing The One

This morning I am looking at the last real public words Jesus spoke to the crowds, according to John's recollection.  These are from John 12, and in John 13 and after he is recounting the Last Supper conversations.  I find that it always helpful to try and put the verses into context, and understand the timing of them.

Here are the verses - John 12:44-50 NIV:

[44] "Then Jesus cried out, “Whoever believes in me does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me. [45] The one who looks at me is seeing the one who sent me.

[46] I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness. [47] “If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world. [48] There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day. [49] For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken. [50] I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.”

I think the statement Jesus makes in verse 45 is critical for us to understand. Jesus represented the Father when He was ministering, so much so that if we look at Him, we see the Father.  I know that I have written this before, but it is one of those truths that bears repeating over and over again.  The author of the letter to the Hebrews sad that Jesus was the perfect representation of the Father (Heb 1:3), and here Jesus is saying the same thing.

I look quite a bit like my earthly father, but I am not the perfect representation of Him.  I don't really know all his thoughts, or even all of his life story, and never will.  I do know that in some major areas I am very much like him, especially in terms of our faith.  But I do know that there are many things I have said and done that he wouldn't have said or done.

Jesus, however, due to His intimate relationship with the Father, through the power of the Holy Spirit, was able to say, " I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken."  Imagine having that close of a relationship with the Lord, that every word spoken by us, came from Him. 

These are the thoughts that make me realize how far I am from representing the Lord effectively.  I am not discouraged though, but rather I am encouraged onward into deeper intimacy, deeper unity, deeper surrender, for I know there is more available in Him.  I also know that He, of all, knows me perfectly, and still desires relationship with me.

As I wrote that last bit I was reminded of the final prayer of Jesus found in John 17:24-26 NIV:

[24] “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.

[25] “Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. [26] I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”

What a great prayer!  Jesus desires that we are with Him, where He is.  He will continue to make the Father known to us, so that we might have The Father's love  for Him in us!  Wow!  Their desire is that same Love the Father had for Jesus might be in us!

If you ever wondered whether God loves you, read those last words again. This is a love that knows no bounds!  A love that resulted in the creation of everything!   A love that resulted in the salvation of us all!  That same love is meant to be ours, in us, encouraging us!  He desires that we represent that love in the world, that we represent Him in this world, that we press into relationship with Him, into that infinite love!  He wants us to look into the mirror and see that we look like Him!  He desires a people that others can look at and see Him.

Lord, help me to represent you more effectively!  Help me to press into the intimacy that is available, so that more and more when people look at me, they see You.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment