Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, May 18, 2020

Seeing God's Goodness Every Day

This morning I am reflecting on a story found in 1 Kings.  I was asking the Lord where I should read this morning, and when I heard 1 King 17, I was a bit disappointed, as I didn't remember what was in that particular chapter, but I was hoping for some New Testament or Gospel passages to read.  However, trying to be be obedient to follow the path the Lord leads me down, I turned there and saw that it was actually a story with which I was quite familiar, Elijah and the Widow.  Sorry Lord for my earlier disappointment and doubt.

Anyway here are the verses of my reflection this morning - 1 Kings 17:7-24 NIV:

[7] "Some time later the brook dried up because there had been no rain in the land. [8] Then the word of the Lord came to him: [9] “Go at once to Zarephath in the region of Sidon and stay there. I have directed a widow there to supply you with food.” [10] So he went to Zarephath. When he came to the town gate, a widow was there gathering sticks. He called to her and asked, “Would you bring me a little water in a jar so I may have a drink?” [11] As she was going to get it, he called, “And bring me, please, a piece of bread.”

[12] “As surely as the Lord your God lives,” she replied, “I don't have any bread---only a handful of flour in a jar and a little olive oil in a jug. I am gathering a few sticks to take home and make a meal for myself and my son, that we may eat it---and die.”

[13] Elijah said to her, “Don't be afraid. Go home and do as you have said. But first make a small loaf of bread for me from what you have and bring it to me, and then make something for yourself and your son. [14] For this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: 'The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the Lord sends rain on the land.' ”

[15] She went away and did as Elijah had told her. So there was food every day for Elijah and for the woman and her family. [16] For the jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry, in keeping with the word of the Lord spoken by Elijah.

[17] Some time later the son of the woman who owned the house became ill. He grew worse and worse, and finally stopped breathing. [18] She said to Elijah, “What do you have against me, man of God? Did you come to remind me of my sin and kill my son?”

[19] “Give me your son,” Elijah replied. He took him from her arms, carried him to the upper room where he was staying, and laid him on his bed. [20] Then he cried out to the Lord, “Lord my God, have you brought tragedy even on this widow I am staying with, by causing her son to die?” [21] Then he stretched himself out on the boy three times and cried out to the Lord, “Lord my God, let this boy's life return to him!”

[22] The Lord heard Elijah's cry, and the boy's life returned to him, and he lived. [23] Elijah picked up the child and carried him down from the room into the house. He gave him to his mother and said, “Look, your son is alive!”

[24] Then the woman said to Elijah, “Now I know that you are a man of God and that the word of the Lord from your mouth is the truth.”


This whole story took place after the Lord had Elijah prophecy a 3 year drought over Israel, and after He had fled into the wilderness and been fed by ravens.  In other words, well into a dry season, both in the natural and Spiritually.  I thought I would share my main take away from this story up-front, and then fill in my thoughts following.  I believe the message is that I shouldn't miss all the Lord is doing every day, right in front of my face, because I am focused on what is happening around me, instead of upon Him.

The words of the Widow in verse 24 stuck in my heart this morning.  It appears that even after she had been experiencing the daily miracle of flour and oil that didn't run out, she was unconvinced about the truth of the word of the Lord.  I am guessing that the flour jar always looked just about empty, and the same for the oil jar, but they never actually were empty.  I am thinking that every new day, she would look and see the same amount of flour and oil, but rather than seeing the daily miracle, she instead was focused on the rest of the empty jar. 

I am so much like this widow, always looking for what I haven't seen yet, or experienced in the Lord, wanting so much to see the awesome move of God, or the mind blowing miracles, that I don't recognize and celebrate all the ways the Lord blesses me every day, all the blessings and daily provisions that I have come to expect.  Oh Lord, please forgive me for my ungrateful heart.

Secondly, it seems the widow was unable to reflect back on all the days of constant provision, and see God's hand at work in her life!  She was missing the forest (constant provision), for the tree (her daily need) that was right in front of her face. 

Again, I find, so often, that I am hard pressed to remember the past goodness of the Lord, due to the present need in front of my face.  I have heard this described as "what have you done for me today, Lord" mindset, and I unfortunately have to own this as something I struggle with too.  Rather than allowing my faith to build up, so that I am leaning on all my past experience, remembering everything the Lord has done previously, I am like a blank-slate every morning, having to start all over again, and that is something that needs to change in me!  Again Lord, I ask Your forgiveness for my ungrateful heart and mind.

At the end of the day, I think I would ascribe this all to a spirit of unbelief.  Apparently, I don't really believe that the Lord is as good as He says He is, and every day, I allow my mind and heart to focus on that rather than on His goodness and provision.  Lord, again I ask You forgiveness and Your help in dealing with the unbelief.  The season of life I have been in has been long and hard, and yet, You have never failed to provide for me and my family!  You have blessed us with abundance.  You have constantly watched over us, providing as needed, every day.  While I haven't seen abundance, I have never seen lack.  Help me to focus on the latter, not the former. 

In the midst of the strange season, help me to see and recognize Your constant flow of blessings Lord!  Your goodness is continuous, Your faithfulness unquestionable. As I wrote that last bit, I was reminded of Psalm 136, where the people are asked to respond "His love endures Forever", and I think that would be a good line for constant meditation.  Here are a few verses from that Psalm - Psalm 136:1-9,23-26 NIV:

[1] "Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever.
[2] Give thanks to the God of gods. His love endures forever.
[3] Give thanks to the Lord of lords: His love endures forever.
[4] to him who alone does great wonders, His love endures forever.
[5] who by his understanding made the heavens, His love endures forever.
[6] who spread out the earth upon the waters, His love endures forever.
[7] who made the great lights---His love endures forever.
[8] the sun to govern the day, His love endures forever.
[9] the moon and stars to govern the night; His love endures forever.

[23] He remembered us in our low estate His love endures forever.
[24] and freed us from our enemies. His love endures forever.
[25] He gives food to every creature. His love endures forever.
[26] Give thanks to the God of heaven. His love endures forever."


Lord, You are good and Your love does endure forever.  You are faithful every day!  I thank You for Your constant provision and blessing!  Our flour and oil have never run out, and we recognize your constant faithfulness and goodness!

Amen!


May the faithful love of the Lord overwhelm you today.  May His goodness be in front of You and His faithfulness behind you.

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment