Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, April 11, 2011

God's Perspective

One of the verses that amazes me is Romans 2:13-15 where it says, "For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) "

What an incredible section of scripture addressing a very controversial issue - those who have not heard the truth, but still live it.  We, in our human perspective, want to figure everything out - understand all the rules and the way God works.  He was very clear in the Old Testament about righteousness and the requirements to attain righteousness.  Here God, through Paul's writing, opens up the possibility that gentiles, from His perspective, without meeting the righteousness requirements of the law, could be considered righteous (if they obey the same precepts of the law) because they act correctly by their own nature, guided by their hearts and consciences.

Can the same thing be said about people who live in accordance with the New Covenant, without ever having heard the Gospel?  I clearly don't have the answer.  However, one thing I do know, God's perspective on this matter is much different than mine - as high as the heavens are above the earth (Is 55).

No comments:

Post a Comment