Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, October 21, 2011

The School of the Holy Spirit

Recently I have been thinking about the role of the Holy Spirit, as Jesus reveals it in John 16: 7, 12-13:  "But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you....“I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come."  As I was thinking about this all, the phrase - 'Going to the School of the Holy Spirit' popped into my mind. 


It is very clear from Jesus' words that it was necessary for Him to go so that the Holy Spirit might come.  My thought is that clearly Jesus was limited by His earthly body in how many people He could reach, but the Holy Spirit is not limited in any way.  John 16:14 continues: "He will honor and glorify Me, because He will take of (receive, draw upon) what is Mine and will reveal (declare, disclose, transmit) it to you." (Amplified Bible). One of the clear roles of the Holy Spirit is to literally teach us.  Because He knows our very thoughts (Psalm 139:2), He is able to immediately direct us and guide us in a way that is unique for each of us.  


As an example, this morning I was journaling a prayer to the Lord and wrote the following: "Lord open my eyes, ears, mind and heart to what you are saying!"  Within 30 seconds of writing that down, I felt led to read Isaiah 32:3-4 which says, "Then the eyes of those who see will no longer be closed, and the ears of those who hear will listen. The mind of the rash will know and understand..."  I was amazed at the intimacy of the instruction and acknowledgement of my prayer and His answer!  He truly was inside my mind, or looking over my shoulder as I thought and wrote those words, quickly answering almost word for word.  Amazing!


Lord, that we all might go to the School of the Holy Spirit, and truly learn from you!  You know us perfectly and know what each of us is needing and looking to receive.  Teach us and guide us to Your perfect plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment