Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Gift of Forgiveness

I am reading in Luke 7 this morning:

(NIV)Luke 7:37-38, 44-50
A woman in that town who lived a sinful life learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee’s house, so she came there with an alabaster jar of perfume. [38] As she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.

[44] Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. [45] You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. [46] You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. [47] Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven---as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.” [48] Then Jesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.” [49] The other guests began to say among themselves, “Who is this who even forgives sins?” [50] Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”

The last line - speaking of how her Faith has saved - Greek word: sozo - her. Her faith is demonstrated by her actions, her love for Him, her humility before Him. Although not mentioned here, in John 11:2, written many years later, He identifies this women as Mary. We know that she spends the rest of Jesus' life, serving and following Him. Her expression of love and devotion, here explained as a result of her forgiveness for her sins, should give us pause to consider.

I know that sometimes I forget what my sins would have wrought in my life and beyond. I sometimes forget the great gift I have been given in forgiveness of my sins. Clearly Mary never forgot, and she continued to serve Jesus unrelentingly. Lord, I ask You to forgive me for my ungratefulness and lack of love for You.

No comments:

Post a Comment