Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, June 18, 2012

Pets, Servants and Sons and Daughters

This morning I am meditating on sonship and I had a couple of thoughts and verses. As I was sitting here praying one of our cats came and sat down next to me, and was purring away, apparently glad to be by me. I was thinking about how much interaction we have as pet and owner, how the pets are completely dependent on me to provide for their food, shelter, etc. And how even though they don't fully understand me, there is a communication of affection. I realized that many people don't even have that type of relationship with the Lord.


Then I started thinking about some of the verses describe the relationship that God want to have with us. We are so much more than just created beings, like animals with little or no interaction with God. We are called to be more than just servants or slaves. In Matthew 6, Jesus is describing how much more valuable we are than animals. In Romans 8, Paul talks about how we are adopted into a place of sonship or daughtership. In Matt 7, Jesus talks about how we as sons and daughters can expect the Father to answer prayers. In John 15, Jesus calls us friends, elevating us from any type of servant role. So, if we look at the summary - the Father considers us His sons and daughters, and He wants to give us good things. Jesus, as The Son, calls us His friends and we are invited into the intimate relationships He has with the Father. What an awesome reality!  He wants us to know that we are Sons and Daughters, and that we can live in the reality of that relationship!


(NIV)Matthew 6:25-27
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? [26] Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? [27] Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life ?


(NIV)Romans 8:14-17
For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. [15] The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” [16] The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. [17] Now if we are children, then we are heirs---heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.


(NIV)Matthew 7:7-11
“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. [8] For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. [9] “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? [10] Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? [11] If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!


(NIV)John 15:14-17
You are my friends if you do what I command. [15] I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. [16] You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit---fruit that will last---and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. [17] This is my command: Love each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment