Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, June 15, 2012

Surrounded By Trouble - Peace!

As I was reading Psalm 27, I was encouraged by the David's prayer for intimacy with God, while he is surrounded by enemies and troubles.

(NIV)Psalm 27:1-14
The Lord is my light and my salvation---whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life---of whom shall I be afraid? [2] When the wicked advance against me to devour me, it is my enemies and my foes who will stumble and fall. [3] Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then I will be confident. [4] One thing I ask from the Lord, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple. [5] For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent and set me high upon a rock. [6] Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his sacred tent I will sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the Lord. [7] Hear my voice when I call, Lord; be merciful to me and answer me. [8] My heart says of you, “Seek his face! ” Your face, Lord, I will seek. [9] Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper. Do not reject me or forsake me, God my Savior. [10] Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me. [11] Teach me your way, Lord; lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors. [12] Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me, spouting malicious accusations. [13] I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. [14] Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.

He speaks of being surrounded by an army, and not fearing, though a war breaks out against him, standing in confidence, and in al this turning to the Lord, desiring a place of face to face intimacy and worship. He learned that in the place of intimacy there was protection and peace. I think from that place, he was able to gain God's perspective (raising his head above his enemies). Its amazing that his response is singing and making music to the Lord, as if an army wasn't surrounding him, and he wasn't in the day of trouble. I am reminded of Paul's statement about peace that is beyond understanding:

(NIV)Philippians 4:7
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Lord, we pray for this type of peace in our lives. We are so often overwhelmed, surrounded, harassed and fearful, but in You is a place of peace and intimacy. We long for that Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment