Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, January 28, 2013

The Simple Call

This morning I am reading from Zechariah 7:8-10 NIV:

[8] "And the word of the Lord came again to Zechariah: [9] “This is what the Lord Almighty said: ‘Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another. [10] Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the foreigner or the poor. Do not plot evil against each other.’

-and -

Zechariah 8:16-17 NIV:
These are the things you are to do: Speak the truth to each other, and render true and sound judgment in your courts; [17] do not plot evil against each other, and do not love to swear falsely. I hate all this,” declares the Lord.

Immediately before the first verses, the people had been inquiring of God, exactly what religious observances, fasts, festivals, and such, they should do. These verses were God's reply - basically to love one another, especially those in hardship and difficult circumstances.

The verses from chapter 8, are God telling them how He plans to bless them, and these are His main requirements on them as a people - to treat each other fairly and speak the truth to one another.

I am reminded of a few verses in the New Testament that parallel these verses:

John 13:34 NIV
“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

Matthew 7:12 NIV
"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets."

In both of these verses, Jesus was speaking, and bringing our focus to a simple call to follow His example in loving and caring for others. So often people get caught up in the outward observances of going to church, or saying certain prayers, or keeping certain observances, and they forget about these most important things. I've heard it said in the restaurant business that the one shift no one wants to work is the Sunday, after church shift, because of the way the church people treat them. I've heard others, who are Christian friends say they don't want to do work for other Christians because of the way they are treated.

Our love for others is supposed to be a light to others, one that draws them in to the Kingdom and allows them to be filled with life.

Lord, help me to embrace this simple call to love others, and treat them the way I would want to be treated, paying special attention to those who are in difficult situations or downtrodden

No comments:

Post a Comment