Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Unchanging One

This morning I am reading from Daniel 10:4-9 NIV:

"On the twenty-fourth day of the first month, as I was standing on the bank of the great river, the Tigris, [5] I looked up and there before me was a man dressed in linen, with a belt of fine gold from Uphaz around his waist. [6] His body was like topaz, his face like lightning, his eyes like flaming torches, his arms and legs like the gleam of burnished bronze, and his voice like the sound of a multitude. [7] I, Daniel, was the only one who saw the vision; those who were with me did not see it, but such terror overwhelmed them that they fled and hid themselves. [8] So I was left alone, gazing at this great vision; I had no strength left, my face turned deathly pale and I was helpless. [9] Then I heard him speaking, and as I listened to him, I fell into a deep sleep, my face to the ground."

As I read this verse I was reminded of John's vision at the beginning of the Book of Revelations - Revelation 1:10-17 NIV

"On the Lord’s Day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet, [11] which said: “Write on a scroll what you see and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea.” [12] I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, [13] and among the lampstands was someone like a son of man, dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. [14] The hair on his head was white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. [15] His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. [16] In his right hand he held seven stars, and coming out of his mouth was a sharp, double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance. [17] When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last.

The parallels between the two passages are remarkable and in my mind, very encouraging. Just yesterday I was talking to a friend about when the Presence of the Lord comes into a place and all fall face down. This response is a very appropriate response to the presence of God!

I also am encouraged the Jesus appears basically the same in both encounters, especially since the vision Daniel had occurred about 550 years before Jesus came in human form, and John's vision occurred after Jesus resurrection, when He was glorified. One can conclude that there is an eternal and consistent character and nature to Jesus. I am also encouraged that He is unchanging, so that whether a revelation of who He is occurred 500 years ago, two years ago, or two thousand years ago, we can depend on it being accurate to who He is today. His eyes still blaze with fire, His legs still appear as bronze glowing in the furnace, and His voice still sounds like a great multitude or many rushing waters.

Oh Lord that we might experience the awesomeness of Your Presence, and Your unchanging character!

No comments:

Post a Comment