Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Of Fear And Anxiety

This morning I am reading from Paul's letter to the Philippians.

Philippians 4:4-9 NIV
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! [5] Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. [6] Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. [7] And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

[8] Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable---if anything is excellent or praiseworthy---think about such things. [9] Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me---put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

I am primarily focused on verses 6 & 7- and the ability of the Lord to reach into our situations and bring us peace. Its interesting to note that in addition to feeling peace, this peace will actually guard our hearts and minds. I know much of our anxiety comes from the gyrations of our mind, thinking of all the possible things that could happen. In the place of anxiety, we don't think well or make good decisions, for they are based on fear. These fearful thoughts can become a whirlpool that draws us in. Its in this place that we need God's peace, and we need our mind guarded.

In a place of fear and anxiety our hearts are not reliable guides either, for we will give our hearts to the things that make the fear and anxiety stop in the shortest period of time. Often the shortest path is not the best path. I can think of many examples of these types of fear and anxiety inducing situations, such as teen pregnancy, volatile home situations, etc. In these times, we are likely to jump at the first opportunity to escape the fear and anxiety. Its in this place that we need to turn to God in prayer and seek His wisdom and peace, and let His peace guard our hearts.

Finally, we need to learn to focus our thoughts on positive things - "whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable---if anything is excellent or praiseworthy", for we are what we think!

Lord, help us to turn to You in prayer, a place of of personal communication and communion, and help us to hear what You have to say. Your words and Your love do bring peace, which extinguishes fear and anxiety !

No comments:

Post a Comment