Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A Mystery Revealed

This morning I am reading from Paul's letter to the Ephesians 3:4-6 NIV:

[4] "In reading this, then, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, [5] which was not made known to people in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God’s holy apostles and prophets. [6] This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus."

I was thinking about the reality of the gentiles being joined to the people of Israel, and how amazing that is. Israel was a people group, all who were members through birth, as drawing their ancestry from Abraham. It was blood-line based, and of all the people on the earth, God chose them to be His people! You couldn't just become a member of Israel, of your own choosing.

I can imagine how foreign the whole concept of salvation through faith, and grace was to them, as previously their understanding of God's selection was rooted in their ancestry. Paul is correct in calling this a mystery, for it had been hidden, even though alluded to throughout scripture. It was hidden in the fact that their experience was the opposite. Israel was God's chosen people, they were in His favor because He chose them, through Abraham.

Now, through Paul and Peter's revelations, the Gospel is open to the gentiles, and they have the same opportunity to know God and His blessings the people of Israel. In fact, they are joined together as one Body of Christ, in Him. Paul writes in his letter to the Galatians 3:28 "There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

Now we can all be joined to the Body of Christ, through our faith and belief in Him. People from every walk of life, every nation on earth, every occupation, every type of character are called by God to join themselves to the Body of Christ. Their is both great freedom and responsibility in this new paradigm. For the doors are open to all, but it is now our choice whether to acknowledge Christ's sacrifice, and seek forgiveness for our sins. This is no longer a birthright, but rather the result of our own choosing.

As I was writing that I was aware of how the people of Israel bore within them the Truth about God for so may years. In Jesus, we find that this truth is now available to us all. It's like the purpose of God suddenly explodes out of Israel's and now the whole world is covered by the grace of God, with people joining themselves to the Body of Christ in every nation and people group.

Today, I am thankful that this mystery was revealed and for the chance I had to join myself to the Body of Christ. Lord, we pray that this Good is spread to the whole world! That every nation would be Your Body!

No comments:

Post a Comment