Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Unconcerned Worship


This morning I am reading from Luke 7:36-38, 44-48, 50 NIV:

[36] "When one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, he went to the Pharisee’s house and reclined at the table. [37] A woman in that town who lived a sinful life learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee’s house, so she came there with an alabaster jar of perfume. [38] As she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.

[44] Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. [45] You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. [46] You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. [47] Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven---as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.” [48] Then Jesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”

[50] Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”

As I was reading these verses this morning, I found myself wondering what it was about Jesus that gave this woman the courage to enter the Pharisee's house and express such humility and devotion to Jesus? If Jesus was the guest of honor, than this whole exchange would have been noticed by everyone in that place. I can imagine that everyone was embarrassed by this display of humility, yet the woman seemed oblivious to them all and was focused solely on Jesus. This is such a great picture of worship, offering all of oneself unashamedly to bestow honor on the Lord.

At times when I read stories like this, I have difficulty remembering that this all occurred before Jesus died and was glorified. We see things like this and they make sense, because we know who Jesus is, and would expect this type of honor to be given Him. However, this was not the perspective of all the people in the room, except for Jesus. The rest of them knew He had done great works, signs and wonders, but were still unconvinced about whether He was the Messiah.

My personal meditation this morning, is three-fold. First, am I convinced of Jesus as my Lord and savior? Secondly, do I act on my beliefs? Finally, am I willing to lay aside my own pride, unconcerned about how I might be perceived, and give glory and honor to Jesus, worshipping Him with everything that is in me?

No comments:

Post a Comment