Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Power Flowed Out of Him


This morning I felt like I should read out of Luke. I opened my Bible to Luke 6:17-19 NIV:

[17] "He (Jesus) went down with them and stood on a level place. A large crowd of his disciples was there and a great number of people from all over Judea, from Jerusalem, and from the coastal region around Tyre and Sidon, [18] who had come to hear him and to be healed of their diseases. Those troubled by impure spirits were cured, [19] and the people all tried to touch him, because power was coming from him and healing them all."

Verse 19, is what I am focused on this morning. I don't have any idea how to actually imagine what the healing ministry of Jesus actually looked like, because its so different, as described here, than anything I have ever seen. For the people to know that healing power was flowing out of Jesus, they must have been able to see some physical manifestations on the people who had touched Him previously. It is like healing was available to all, they just needed to touch Him. Interestingly, there is no mention of getting right with God, forgiveness for sins, faith (although there was clearly faith in their actions that was based on observed results) or anything else. These were just sick people desperate for healing, reaching out to touch Him and being healed. Granted, they had traveled to find Jesus, in response to the marvelous stories that were flooding the countryside, but we are not told of anything else that was required.

I also find it interesting to note that other times, we see Jesus walking through crowds and no mention is made of all the people touching Him and being healed, so apparently there were times of great healing anointing, where power was flowing out like a river, and other times where it wasn't. There is not single time mentioned where Jesus didn't heal a sick person who came to Him, so we know He was always willing to heal, but it is also clear that the manifestation of the healing gift on Jesus ebbed and flowed. I would imagine that in this case there were people who had traveled for days, who were around Jesus, but who hadn't been healed yet, but when healing power started flowing out of Him, they pressed forward and were healed. That is just my conjecture, but logistically it makes sense.

Anyway, my take away this morning is this, Jesus demonstrated a healing ministry unlike anything I have ever seen, but in demonstrating it was showing us what is possible by the power of the Holy Spirit, so this is possible to see in our day. Secondly, there are seasons or times when the healing anointing is more present and powerful to heal, and those are times to press into God for healing. In between those times, its important to persevere, and still press in, for its always the Lord's will to heal. Finally, there is no religious requirement to receive healing, just need.

Lord, I desire to see healing like this breakout, to see everyone who is sick or oppressed healed and set free. Thank You for showing us what is possible, and inviting us into that group that follows You waiting for the anointing to flow again like a river, but knowing that healing is always available.

No comments:

Post a Comment