Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, April 28, 2014

A Sin Exchange


The meditation this morning is from Luke 7:36-38 NIV:

[36] "When one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, he went to the Pharisee’s house and reclined at the table. [37] A woman in that town who lived a sinful life learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee’s house, so she came there with an alabaster jar of perfume. [38] As she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them."

-and -

Luke 7:44-48 NIV
[44] Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. [45] You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. [46] You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. [47] Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven---as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.”

[48] Then Jesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”

I was thinking this morning about the women's motivation and purpose in coming to Jesus. She s clearly on a mission from the start, for she showed with a jar of perfume. She had lived a sinful life, the consensus is that she prostituted herself, she brings her perfume, which was likely one of the tools of her trade, and pours it on Jesus' feet. She weeps at His feet, wetting his feet with her tears then dries His feet wth her hair, also likely one of the tools of her trade. We know of no other specific interaction between this woman and Jesus and yet she comes, drawn to Him, unafraid of the opinions of others.

I am reminded of stories I have read of revivals where the people of towns come running forward to the altar, confessing their sins in front of all their towns-folk, but under such a sweet Spirit of repentance, they are almost unaware, and certainly don't care what others think. I think there was probably a similar unction of the Holy Spirit upon this woman. She knew she had nothing to fear from the Lord, and that what was available was freedom from her sins, and forgiveness for all. She laid her sinful life at His feet and received His love and forgiveness in return. He wasn't repulsed by her sin, didn't reject her touch, but accepted her. He did a great work in her life that day, and she was certainly changed.

So often we are afraid to come to God in our sin, and yet we never see Jesus reject a truly repentant sinner. He extends forgiveness and mercy to all, and He draws these people out of their sinful lives into His Kingdom of Light. He sets them free from the chains that have bound them, and restores their dignity. Their lives are changed, they are saved and redeemed. Our natural inclination is to run away from God in our shame and sinfulness, but running to Him is the right decision and action. He is willing to exchange our sinfulness for salvation, our wretchedness with a new life, our chains for freedom.

Lord I pray that You will quicken our hearts for repentance, that we might be cleansed, healed, and set free. Thank You for Your mercy, compassion and forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment