Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Answering The Call

The verses for today come from the Book of the Prophet Jeremiah. He is my second favorite prophet next to Isaiah. These set of verses speak about his call and selection by the Lord.

Jeremiah 1:4-10 NIV:

[4] "The word of the Lord came to me, saying, [5] “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations. ”

[6] “Alas, Sovereign Lord,” I said, “I do not know how to speak; I am too young.”

[7] But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am too young.’ You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. [8] Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the Lord.

[9] Then the Lord reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, “I have put my words in your mouth. [10] See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant.”

There is much to reflect on in these verses, but the obvious theme is being selected and called by the Lord. I have been thinking on this theme the last few weeks and I think it is so important for us to all understand that the Lord says the same thing about each of us. We have each been chosen before we were born, chosen for specific purposes. For some the call is to significant service to nations like Jeremiah, for others it is to smaller spheres of influence, but all are called. We do not know the overall significance of our lives, but when we look to the Lord, He will direct us and guide us and help us to fulfill our purpose.

Pastor Rick Warren penned a very popular book a few years ago called "The Purpose Driven Life" which had a significant impact on the Body, at least here in America. The idea that we have purpose and should think about that and be intentional in how we live our life was an enlightening message for so many, and it is true for us all. I like the Ignatian perspective that at the very core we all have the same purpose - to praise, love and serve God. Everything we do, all day, every day should draw significance from our core purpose. We should think about our lives and actions and be intentional in directing both to reflect our common purpose. I would probably add a fourth common purpose - that we love and serve others.

When Jesus was asked what the greatest commandment was, [37]'Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ [38] This is the first and greatest commandment. [39] And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ [40] All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” Matthew 22:37-40 NIV. When Jesus said that "all the Law and all the prophets hang on these two" He was indicating that these are the foundational purposes for us all. If we are doing these two things in our lives, we will accomplish that which were made to do.

I think much of my problem in being intentional is just simply the failure to think. More often than not, I just am going with the flow of the moment, and not viewing the situation from a transcendent perspective, meaning that I am not seeing how the situation relates to the bigger picture, or my core purpose. I just roll along, forgetting to think and act as someone who is pursuing God, or trying to be His representative to those around me. I am generally kind and helpful, smiling and good, but without the higher understanding of my purpose and calling, that is all I will ever be, and my life will have little impact. God's call and selection of me is meant to impact the world.

Now I don't want to get all religious, and start planning a hundred different ways to have an impact in my sphere of influence, because without the Lord's direction and guidance, I will just be working in vain. All of this is supposed to flow out of relationship to Him. It is in the place of relationship, and the development of love and affection, knowledge and understanding of Him that I am called to step out into the world as His representative, His son through adoption. My way forward should be like a loving son asking his Dad what he can do to help? Sometimes it will be big things, sometimes small, but my goal should be to ask. I like what Bill Johnson says, that we should all expect to be world changers, and if we aren't thinking this way we haven't fully understood our identity as His children (rough paraphrase).

My impact on the world might be one significant individual who then impacts others, who then has a world changing ministry. I might be like Edward Kimball, whose down-line of ministry includes Dwight Moody and Billy Graham. His primary mission was to teach Sunday school and to pray for members of his class. Not a significant ministry, but in the Lord's eyes, he fulfilled his purpose and affected change in the world,

So let us be encouraged, we have the opportunity to fulfill our purpose, and He will see that we understand our purpose and will provide the opportunities to grow and love and serve Him and our neighbors. Let us answer the call.

No comments:

Post a Comment