Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, April 4, 2014

We Are Chosen

Today the meditation is the same as yesterday (Exodus 3:1-15), although the focus I had yesterday was not the perspective they had directed, one of partnering with God.  I was more focused on the call of Moses and his own disqualification of himself from God's call because of how he thought of himself.

When I think of the Lord choosing to partner with us, to partner with me, I am amazed.  I am amazed that He would entrust such important work to such faulty beings, myself the chief.  There is something wonderful, and at the same time fearful, about His willingness to Love us and trust us with His Kingdom.  There is something that defies human logic with this arrangement.

When I think of the twelve apostles, I am in wonder of the men He chose, nothing personal...  Looking closely at those men, and comparing them to who I would want on my team, I don't think I would have agreed with a single selection (maybe one or two).  I would want to choose men of strong character, who knew the Word, who had the personal charisma and drive to lead hundreds, if not thousands.  I would want to find men whose lives were exemplary in their pursuit of God, who showed evidence of deep faith.  The Lord chose a group of men, none apparently remarkable at the time of their choosing, fishermen, tax collector, etc. The difference is that God saw their hearts, and knew their deep character.  We so often judge by external appearances, or accomplishments, but God looks at the heart (Jet. 17:10).  He understands who we really are, under all the stuff we think and do.

This gives me hope about myself, as God sees in me something that made Him choose me!  He understands me, better than I understand myself, and has chosen me for a specific purpose.  He has decided to entrust part of His plan into my care, because He knows I will succeed.  Wow, I wish I had the same confidence in myself that God has in me!  Also, God isn't dismayed by my set-backs or failures, but is able to use everything to fashion and shape me into the man he knows I am.

One of my favorite authors, Graham Cooke, talks about how God sees us from the future, and looks at us from that perspective.  God knows who we will become and the depth of relationship we will have with Him, and treats us that way now!  So if He knows we are going to be a King, He sees us and treats us that way now.  The story of the anointing of David comes to mind (1 Sam 16).  Samuel went to Jesse's house to anoint one of his sons as King, and was ready to anoint the eldest when he saw him, but God stopped him and said, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." (1 Sam 16:7).  God ultimately chose David who was a mere youth at the time, but God saw who he would become.  Although David didn't exactly live an exemplary life, God never doubted His choice, nor David's ability to fulfill his purpose.

Thinking on this makes me want to do my very best for the Lord, because He has seen who I am and knows what I can accomplish. Its like the football player who plays seemingly beyond his abilities because His coach has trusted him and put him in the game.  The coach put him in because he saw the potential the player had, even though no one else could see it.  That is how I think we should all look at ourselves, God chose us and has put us into His plan because of what He sees in us.  I must learn to trust the Lord's choice and believe in myself, that I have in me what the Lord sees.

Lord, I pray that You would open our eyes and help us to see ourselves as You see us!  That we might believe in ourselves, and that we might be able to believe in our brothers and sisters and call them forth, even as we encourage ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment