Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Drink for the Thirsty, Food for the Hungry

This morning I felt I should read from Psalm 107:1-9NIV:

[1] "Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.
[2] Let the redeemed of the Lord tell their story---those he redeemed from the hand of the foe,
[3] those he gathered from the lands, from east and west, from north and south.
[4] Some wandered in desert wastelands, finding no way to a city where they could settle.
[5] They were hungry and thirsty, and their lives ebbed away.
[6] Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress.
[7] He led them by a straight way to a city where they could settle.
[8] Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for mankind,
[9] for he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things."

The whole of Psalm 107 is a wonderful song about the faithfulness of the Lord, regardless of the situation a person finds themselves in, whether wilderness, chains, sickness, near death, or on the sea in a sinking ship. The Lord is faithful to hear and act.

The first verses speak of someone in the wilderness who is hungry and thirsty. Although this speaks of a physical reality, I believe it can equally apply to our spiritual condition. I know there have been a few times in my life when I felt completely and utterly alone, lost, dry as a bone, and starving - spiritually. The Lord has been faithful to meet there and help me to find my way forward. It says that "He led them by a straight way to a city where they could settle", indicating His desire to settle us, and the importance of others.

Finally, "He satisfies the thirst, and fills the hungry with good things" which is exactly want we need at that moment. This is a promise of provision and comfort, physically and more importantly, spiritually. I know that we can be full physically and absolutely starving spiritually, and I think that is unfortunately the case for many people in our land. We have a bounty available to us of fresh water and food, and yet we hunger and thirst for more of God. For many of us, we are not even aware of our need. John writes about this condition in the Book of Revelations - 3:17-18: "You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. [18] I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see."

So let us cry out to the Lord, and seek Him. He is faithful to satisfy our thirst and still our hunger. He is what we need. Let us heed His invitation from Isaiah 55:1-2 NIV: “Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. [2] Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and you will delight in the richest of fare."

- And again in John 6:53-57 NIV: "Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. [54] Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. [55] For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. [56] Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. [57] Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me."

He is the source for everything we need - drink and eat and be satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment