Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, April 13, 2014

What Do You Want?

Today's meditation is from John 1:35-41 NIV:

[35] "The next day John was there again with two of his disciples. [36] When he saw Jesus passing by, he said, “Look, the Lamb of God!”

[37] When the two disciples heard him say this, they followed Jesus.

[38] Turning around, Jesus saw them following and asked, “What do you want?”

They said, “Rabbi” (which means “Teacher”), “where are you staying?”

[39] “Come,” he replied, “and you will see.” So they went and saw where he was staying, and they spent that day with him. It was about four in the afternoon.

[40] Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, was one of the two who heard what John had said and who had followed Jesus. [41] The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and tell him, “We have found the Messiah” (that is, the Christ)."

I have a couple of quick observations. First, there were people who followed John the Baptist and were his disciples. In other words, there was a spiritual stirring in the land, God was moving and drawing people's hearts even before Jesus revealed Himself. One would maybe conjecture that this was due tot the fact that Jesus was living their and just by His physical presence, He was increasing the presence of God for the whole surrounding country. I think this increased stirring is due to the Father preparing to move, preparing to visit with His presence, this time in the person of Jesus.

When we look throughout the history of the church, specifically at revivals, we see that God stirs the hearts of a few in the place, often times years before He visits with His manifest presence. I am not sure how long John's ministry lasted, but the combination of his role as the fore-runner, and the Father stirring the hearts of the people prepared the way for Jesus to come, and one could say probably accelerated the effects of Jesus' early ministry. So, key point, the moving on a group of people, by the Holy Spirit, stirring up their hearts, expecting Him to move is often an indication of the Father's heart to visit that place with His manifest presence.

Secondly, the question of Jesus, in verse 38, is so important for each of us as we relate to Him. He does want to know 'what do we want', what we are expecting as we come to Him. I think that often the answer is simply, 'not much, just a quick blessing'. His invitation was to relationship, inviting the men to spend the day with Him. So my question today is 'what do I want when I come to Jesus?'.

Am I wanting a good Sunday service where I hear about Him, maybe see Him work through the Holy Spirit, maybe hear a stirring sermon? Am I wanting Him to bless me or answer my prayers? Am I desiring someone to tell me what I should or shouldn't do? Am I wanting someone I can tell all my troubles too, but not wanting any real conversation in return? Am I wanting a friend? Am I wanting to be His disciple? Am I wanting to have deep, life changing relationship? Am I wanting to see His name glorified over all the earth? All of these are good, and the Lord will willingly accept us in any way we come, but His desire is always toward the deeper path, the deeper relationship.

What we experience when we come to Jesus is in large part up to us. Our depth of relationship wth Him is our choice. Much is determined by how we answer the question 'what do you want?' He won't force us to go deeper, but He will always invite us deeper. The disciples of John could have said, "We just want your blessing" and that would have possibly been the end of it. Instead they went and visited Jesus, saw where He lived, spent the day with Him and at the end of the day, were convinced He was the Messiah!

Amen Lord, stir my heart that I might desire that deeper place, that I might see You for who You truly are!

No comments:

Post a Comment