Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, September 21, 2015

Of Worry and Peace

This morning I am thinking about the subject of worry and worrying.  I read an article ( https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/americans-over-65-shared-greatest-120000285.html) that described the number one regret amongst a population of people over 65.  The author stated that rather than the larger things that he thought people would regret, he heard people regretting the amount of time they spent worrying.  He describes the reason in the following statement - " ...the experts view time as one of our most precious resources, and worrying about events that may not occur or that we have no control over is an inexcusable waste of this resource."

When I read this, I was reminded of some famous verses - Matthew 6:25-27, 31-34 NIV:

[25] “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? [26] Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? [27] Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life ?

[31] So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' [32] For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. [33] But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. [34] Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

It is interesting that Jesus specifically addressed the topic of worry a few different times during his ministry.  I don't struggle significantly with worry, but I know many people who do.  This study that I quoted earlier is actually in agreement with Jesus' teaching that worrying will not add even an hour to one's life, instead it will waste time. Not only does worry waste time, but I think it is actually a form of unbelief.  Jesus ties worry to belief in our own value and in the goodness of the Father.

Yesterday, in church, we were talking about both of these topics, in a roundabout way.  Understanding our value to the Father is directly related to understanding our true identity, in Him.  Our relationship with God is the conduit through which identity is revealed.  It is one thing to hear someone say you are His son or daughter, it is a whole other thing to experience that reality relationally.  Jesus says simply, "Seek first His (The Father's) Kingdom, and all these things will be given to you as well."  He is speaking about provision as if it is almost an afterthought, putting relationship with the Father in His kingdom as the primary concern.  When we discover our standing and identity as a daughter or son of the King, living in His Kingdom, our concern about daily provision should cease, for He is a good King who loves His children.

I have the opportunity to work with children in the foster care program and one of the things that many of these children worry about is food, for many of them have not experienced good parenting.  We had one young girl who was constantly wondering when the next meal was, another young man who hoarded food at meal times, trying to make sure he had something in case the next meal or two wasn't served.  I am not the greatest parent in the world, but I am pretty sure my kids never worried about when they might get food, nor hoarded it in their rooms in case we forgot to feed them.  Jesus is directing us to look to the Father, and believe that He is a good Father who loves and values His children.  We are not foster children, orphans, or step-children.  We are all the children of His choice, created and loved, a part of His family!

I believe that God wants us to live in the place of constant relationship with Him, knowing that we are loved and valued highly by Him.  As I wrote a couple of days ago, Paul said he discovered the secret of being content in any and every circumstance (Philippians 4:12). I believe that secret was not a method of thinking, but rather recognizing and experiencing the real and constant relationship with the Lord.  Earlier in that same chapter, Paul wrote the following - [6] "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. [7] And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6-7).

I imagine something like this following exchange when reading those verses.  I am walking with the Lord by my side, and I think about something that could cause me to be anxious, say my job.  I turn to the Lord and say, "I am worried about my job, and I think I might get laid-off!"  Jesus, who is listening intently to me, turns to me and says, "Don't worry, I have seen the future and I am taking care of everything!"  When I hear Jesus, the Son of God, the one who has all authority on earth and in Heaven (Matt 28:18), say those words, my worry and anxiousness vanishes, for I know He is good to fulfill His word.  This is what Paul was talking about and what Jesus was talking about in those verses from Matthew's Gospel.  When we seek first His Kingdom, where He has ALL authority, the worry and anxiousness about anything else should vanish, being replaced with His peace.

God has perfect peace, because He has all authority and power, sees the beginning and the end!  This is like the author of a scary movie watching the movie, He isn't anxious because He knows exactly what is going to happen! God is never surprised, nor worried about His ability to be God in any situation.

Going back to Paul's statement, His prescription to overcome anxiousness is to take all of our cares, concerns, worries and anxiousness to the Lord.  This is something we can actively do, delivering our requests to Him.  In the study I mentioned earlier, the author said that the solution was that rather than worry, we should take active steps towards problem solving.  Taking our requests to God is an active step.  What I have learned to do is to take my concerns to Him and ask for His guidance, advice, and His perspective.  Once I get His perspective, I am at peace, for I know He has a good and perfect plan.  Often times He will give me direct guidance and advice on how to approach the situation that is troubling me, and that too brings me peace.

In summary, I am encouraged this day to press into relationship with God recognizing that I am His son.  I am encouraged to bring those things that cause me concern and hand them over to Him, trusting Him and believing in Him.  I am encouraged to listen to Him and to seek Him and His Kingdom, recognizing that He has all authority and power.  I am encouraged to take control of my thoughts, and to let His words be the final word, embracing the peace that flows from Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment