Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The Signs Affirm the Truth!

This morning I felt led to read from Matthew's Gospel.  As I was reading the following verses caught my eye - Matthew 11:2-6 NIV:

[2] "When John, who was in prison, heard about the deeds of the Messiah, he sent his disciples [3] to ask him, “Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?”

[4] Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: [5] The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor. [6] Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.”

It has been a while since I was last reflecting on these verses, but they continue to drive me deeper into the Lord, for the argument Jesus makes for Himself is the very argument I think we should be able to make for the church, that of miracles and signs and wonders.  This is the true sign, the one dependable sign that Jesus was who He said He was.  He points to nothing else, not to the number of followers, not to the great sermons or messages.  He points to the miracles.  Many people can move people, can gather followers, can attract funding, can give great sermons, can woo people with their words, but it is only God who can restore sight to men born blind (John 9:1-6), heal legs that have been crippled for 38 years (John 5:1-8), cleanse leprosy (Matt 8:2-4), give hearing to those who are deaf (Mark 7:32-37), and lastly raise the dead (John 11:1-43).  Today, due to the advances of science and medicine we can replicate some of these, but not all.  To my knowledge, sight has not been given to a man born blind; legs that have been crippled and atrophied for 38 years are not restorable, save through bionics; people who have been dead 4 days have not been brought back to life; leprosy can be stopped, but not reversed and cleansed as if it never was there; some deafness can be overcome using hearing aids and implants.  Even today after 2000+ years of advancement and billions in funding, these miracles are not reproduceable.

In addition to this passage in Matthew and similar passages in Luke, Jesus has a very similar reply to His own disciples in John's Gospel.  Here is the section - John 14:8-14 NIV:

[8] Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”

[9] Jesus answered: “Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? [10] Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. [11] Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. [12] Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. [13] And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. [14] You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."

Jesus tells his disciples that the evidence of the works (miracles they witnessed) is proof that He comes from God the Father.  This was again His main point in proving that He was who He said He was - the Son of God, the Messiah.  These verses stir up my spirit like no other verses!  I believe that we must learn to walk in the ministry of healing, miracles, signs and wonders for the Gospel to be more effectively preached.  It is impossible to argue with a man born blind, who can now see.  Try telling a man whose fingers have been eaten away by leprosy that those new fingers and perfect flesh over his entire body are not real and that He hasn't been touched by God.  Tell the man whose legs were withered and wasted that the new muscles and ability to walk and run and leap are not from God.  Try telling the people that have witnessed these miracles that God does not exist.  The interaction of God with man is supposed to affect us!  Once something like this is witnessed, the Gospel of the Kingdom of God present and Jesus as our Lord and Savior becomes very relevant, for the truth of those is proved by the experience.

I am not saying that the Gospel has no power to change peoples lives without miracles, signs and wonders, for that is clearly not true.  However, I am saying the Gospel is advanced more rapidly when such signs are present and is proved without the need of logical discussion and discourse.  Jesus told us that we would minister in the same ways, doing even greater things (Matt 14:12), so why would we ever settle for less than that?  Jesus effectively ministered in this way, proclamation coupled with miracles.  He told the disciples to do the same - Matthew 10:7-8 NIV: "As you go, proclaim this message: 'The kingdom of heaven has come near.' [8] Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give."  The apostles ministered in the same way after Jesus ascended (See Acts 3:-10; Acts 5:12-16; Acts 14:8-11).  We are called, as the Church, to continue the ministry began by Jesus, and we are called to effectively represent Him.  I can see no other way than to include, and press forward to see miracles, healings, signs and wonders in addition to proclaiming the Good News.

This morning I am encouraged to press into God, to believe His word, to pursue Him, and in encountering Him to see His affects in me and through me.  I desire to minister effectively and believe Jesus demonstrated the Heart of Father towards us all in the healings and miracles.  The Father is the same today, and He longs for all people to come to know Him, Jesus the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Lord help me, teach me and empower me to be more effective!  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment