Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Walking Side by Side

This morning I am continuing my reflection on Paul's letter to the church in Galatia.  His sixth chapter is interesting, and I want to spend some time working through it.  I am starting with the first six verses - Galatians 6:1-6 NIV:

[1] "Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted. [2] Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. [3] If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves. [4] Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, [5] for each one should carry their own load. [6] Nevertheless, the one who receives instruction in the word should share all good things with their instructor."

It is so interesting reading the English translation and then going back and reading the original language and seeing what if any differences there may be.  In verse one, the word Paul used that was translated sin, was not the common Greek word Hamartia, which is defined as missing the mark, or having no share in (target), but rather the word Paraptoma, which is defined to fall beside or near something. The secondary definition is a lapse or deviation from the truth.  The word translated restore is the Greek word katartizo which is defined as mending or making one complete, fixing something that is broken.  The word translated temptation is the Greek word Peirazo which is defined as trying or testing whether something can be accomplished. Finally the word translated caught is Prolambano which is defined to take before, as in taking hold of someone by the hand before.

When I put those words together I get an image of a brother or sister walking alongside another brother or sister, reaching out their hand to steady them or help them when they stumble or fall and helping them back to their feet, back to the path, helping them fix anything that might have been broken. Paul encourages them to do so gently, lest the one helping might also be drawn into the testing.  I can almost picture two people walking together on a rough trail, steadying each other, both knowing they are the support for the other.  What an awesome picture of how to help one another in our faith walk.  Neither individual takes a judgmental position, but rather they are both acknowledging they are walking the path together.

This actually makes better sense as we shift into the second verse of bearing one another's burdens.  Why would Paul write that if He was just talking about catching someone in their sin? If the image is of walking down a path together, it makes perfect sense, for in the natural we often times will offer to carry the burden of another as they traverse a difficult stretch or their strength is waning.  When we are walking alongside another, we have an understanding of load each other is carrying, their strength and their needs.  Paul says this is fulfilling the law of Christ, which I think relates back to the commandment that Jesus gave us to love one another as He loved us, laying down His life.

Imagine if we all were willing to walk alongside one another and were willing to help each other in their time of need and struggle, willing to lay aside our own concerns and attentions and instead look to them to help them.  We see this type of behavior come out when we are confronted with major catastrophes, as in earthquakes, tornados, blizzards, etc.  People are willing to help one another, laying aside their own concerns for a while, going to those who need help and providing whatever aid and assistance they can.  It is in these times that we see the goodness in our neighbors and people around us.  I believe Paul's encouragement this morning is to live this way all the time.

Paul's second theme is directly related to the first, and his encouragement is to not become prideful in compare ourselves to others who are struggling with their own load.  Paul says we should consider ourselves, test ourselves, see if we are indeed carrying our own load as we should.

As I write this I am reminded of a time I was snow-shoeing with a whole group of people.  We were in snow that was more than waist deep, and I was in the lead cutting the trail through the woods, up a steep hill.  I was pushing hard and thinking how strong I was compared to everyone else.  However, at one point I just totally ran out of energy and had to stop and rest and while I was resting everyone in the line passed me by and at the end I couldn't even finish the hike, but had to turn back.  I think this is a good picture of our life, if we get prideful and don't consider our situation and start comparing ourselves to others thinking more highly of ourselves then we ought, we will run into stuff that will stop us, and with that prideful attitude we won't have anyone to help us.

I am encouraged this morning to learn to walk alongside my brothers and sisters, learning to rely on their help and provide real help as well.  I am encouraged to make this a  lifestyle for every day rather than just during special times of extraordinary need.  Lord help me and help us to have such an attitude towards one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment