Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Enduring Hardship - A Better Understanding

This morning I am reflecting on a verse from the Letter to the Hebrews, one that I have read and misread.  This morning I want to carefully look at what is being said, and allow the truth to encourage me.  Here is the verse - Hebrews 12:7 NIV: "Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father?"

The context of this sentence is that it follows and precedes additional discussion of the Lord disciplining the ones He loves.  Because of the context, we often assume that the hardship mentioned at the beginning of the verse is being caused by the Lord, and that is the discipline He is bringing.  As I read this verse this morning, I realized this is an inaccurate assumption.  It is the "enduring" of hardship that is the discipline, not the hardship.

As for what we hear when we read the word discipline, it is important to look at the definition of the Greek word used, as it is not at all what I think of when I hear of a father disciplining his son.  The word used is 'paideia" and it means the following:

1) the whole training and education of children (which relates to the cultivation of mind and morals, and employs for this purpose now commands and admonitions, now reproof and punishment) It also includes the training and care of the body
2) whatever in adults also cultivates the soul, esp. by correcting mistakes and curbing passions.
    a) instruction which aims at increasing virtue
    b) chastisement, chastening, (of the evils with which God visits men for their amendment)

I don't know about you, but when I read this verse my mind always goes to the most negative definition, but the truth is that the author is talking about the whole training and education of us.  I certainly don't think of my own education as negative, overall it was actually a very positive experience.  The author says this is in the context of God treating us as his children, and the familial context is important.  I never want to see my children suffer hardship, nor do I believe the Father wants to see us suffer hardship.  Also, I didn't want my children to work through these difficult situations on their own, I wanted to be right there by their side. What I want, and what I believe the Father wants, is for our children to be able to make it through any hardship, to overcome difficult things, to learn how to persevere, and to know that we are right there with them.  I believe the Lord wants to strengthen us, and help us learn to be strong. Again, putting this in the context of education and training for life helps me to understand God's heart.

Secondly, the word that is translated enduring hardship, is the Greek word 'hupomeno' and it is defined as follows:

1) to remain
    a) to tarry behind
2) to remain i.e. abide, not recede or flee
    a) to preserve: under misfortunes and trials to hold fast to one's faith in Christ
    b) to endure, bear bravely and calmly: ill treatments

Again, it is translated "endure hardships", but that seems to be the most negative connotation possible, especially if we are thinking about education and training.  Maybe its more like - 'stay in school'?  Maybe its like the common saying, 'when the going gets tough, the tough get going'?  Perhaps its more like working through a difficult math problem?  Again as a dad, my encouragement to my children was that they could make it through, they could learn, they could succeed, they could overcome, they could do anything they believed they could do!  I tried to teach them and strengthen their inner mind and spirit, although neither of my children needed much encouragement or training in this area.  I wanted them to have the skills and belief to overcome anything they encountered in school, and in life.

As I was thinking about this I was reminded of a couple of times that I was the embodiment of this verse.  I remember when my son was in 4th grade, he was constantly having negative thoughts about himself, and his abilities.  I pulled out his standardized testing and showed him that he tested to a much higher grade level in both math and reading than 4th grade level.  When he realized that he was smart, it totally changed the way he approached school.  That is actually a really good example of what this verse means.  I, as his father, gave him the ability to overcome, to not run in fear of failure, to hold fast to his faith in his abilities.

Another time I taught him how to write a research paper, when He didn't know how to proceed, and in his mind it was too big of a challenge.  Again, as his father, I gave him the skills and understanding (training) to help him succeed in what was quite a difficult task for a 4th grade student.  My love for him, and my belief in him were the basis of my encouragement of him.  I wanted him to be able to succeed anytime he had to write a research paper from that point on, and teaching him how, would fit under the definition of the Greek word 'paideia'.

When I start to think of the verse above in this context, a loving Father giving me help and teaching me skills and abilities to help me succeed in life, the verse takes on a completely different perspective.  The enduring of hardships, or remaining standing in the midst of difficulty, struggle or less than optimal circumstances is something we can all learn from and grow in.  When confronted with life, in less than perfect mode, we can look to our Father who will help us learn how to overcome, help us learn the skills we need to succeed, and who will be there telling us we can do it, breathing encouragement into our mind and heart through the Holy Spirit.

Jesus even says this is exactly one of the Holy Spirit's jobs.  Here are two verses from John's Gospel where Jesus is talking about the role of the Holy Spirit - John 14:16,26 NIV: "And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever"--- [26] "But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you."  Isn't that amazing, the Holy Spirit lives within us, breathing into us, strengthening us, giving us words of encouragement, teaching us, operating as our advocate (once whose job is to help us)!

The Greek word translated Advocate, is the word 'parakletos' and it is defined as follows:

1) summoned, called to one's side, esp. called to one's aid
    a) one who pleads another's cause before a judge, a pleader, counsel for defense, legal assistant, an advocate
    b) one who pleads another's cause with one, an intercessor
        1) of Christ in his exaltation at God's right hand, pleading with God the Father for the pardon of our sins
    c) in the widest sense, a helper, succourer, aider, assistant
        1) of the Holy Spirit destined to take the place of Christ with the apostles (after his ascension to the Father), to lead them to a deeper knowledge of the gospel truth, and give them divine strength needed to enable them to undergo trials and persecutions on behalf of the divine kingdom

It seems to me that the Holy Spirit is in my life to do exactly what the author of the Letter to the Hebrews was describing in this verse.  The Holy Spirit is our advocate, the one who is standing by our side (our inside) and cheering us on.  He is our teacher, our defender, our intercessor, our helper, and our assistant!

Thus, my encouragement this morning is to see God at work in my life, knowing that He will give me what I need to grow and mature in life.  Things that I encounter that are difficult are not from Him, but He will use those events to help me grow and mature and become more like Him.  He has sent the Holy Spirit into me, into my life to bring encouragement and to be my helper.  He wants to see me succeed, to overcome difficulty, and He isn't going to let me face these things on my own.

What a completely different understanding than what I have heard taught and what I have thought in the past!  God loves each of us as His son or daughter, and because He does, He helps us, strengthens us, encourages us, teaches us, and cheers us on!

Back to the original verse, I want to change the way I read it from now on, so that instead of "Endure hardship as discipline, God is treating you as His children. For what children are not disciplined by their father?", I read it as "Stand strong and don't run away, rather, learn and grow in the face of this which challenges you, for Your Father, who loves you as His son or daughter will help you and strengthen you and teach you how to overcome this which you face!  In fact, He has sent you His Holy Spirit to live inside You to help, to teach, to train, and defend you!  The fact that He has sent you His Holy Spirit is proof that He loves You!

I like the sound of that much better!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment