Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, December 22, 2017

Staying On The Path - An Invitation to Relationship

Recently I have been reflecting on a few verses from Matthew's Gospel where Jesus speaks about the narrow path - Matthew 7:13-14 NIV:  “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

I did some additional study and found a few reflections that were quite interesting in providing additional historical context for these verses.  Two days ago, I was continuing my reflection on these verses at more of a personal level.  I was thinking about our following of the Lord can be seen as following a path (using His imagery from the verses above) in the woods.  I was reminded of my youth and times we walked in the woods.

I have spent much time in the woods, and as a kid we went camping every summer, and we would hit the woods shortly after arriving and setting up camp.  We loved the woods, the connection with nature, and just running around.  When we would first arrive to a campground, we would find the paths that set out from the campground and usually stay on the well worn paths.  These are quite easy to follow, and usually lead to some significant point of interest. Without knowing about the terrain, the surrounding areas or seeing much else, the path will generally lead you to the point of interest in the most expedient manner.

Once we had walked a path a few times, we would often start to venture off the path, exploring as we went.  These were the times when it could be easy to lose your sense of direction, or even lose site of the path, depending on how far off the path one went.  We never got really lost, but many times we walked much farther than needed, and probably caused our parents some concern, as we weren't on the path that everyone used.  In retrospect, although we saw it as exploring, it was actually quite dangerous.  Being in unfamiliar woods, off the beaten path we could have gotten really lost, gotten hurt or fallen and not been able to readily seek help or be found.  The other thing I realize is that we never actually found a better path to the point of interest.  We might have seen some interesting additional things, but we usually expended way more energy and time than was necessary to reach a particular point.

As I was reflecting on these experiences, I was reflecting on our call to obedience, in the place of relationship with the Lord.  As a follower of Christ, I find that the Lord will lead me and guide me, but it is always my choice to follow or not.  I was also reflecting on how easy it is for me to lose site of the path I have chosen to walk on, that of following the Lord.  In my day, I am constantly thinking about many things, and each of those things can distract me to some extent. Sometimes I see things or hear things that cause me to choose to step off the path, and go exploring on my own.  Sometimes its just a step or two off, other times, I seem to lose complete sight of the path, as I go down into a sharp ravine or over a hill.  Sometimes I can spend hours even days wandering away from the path.  As I was reflecting on this whole theme I felt like I should read from Proverbs, chapter four.  I am quite familiar with some parts of scripture, but I don't spend much time in the Book of Proverbs, so was surprised to see the following verses.

Proverbs 4:14-15,18-19,23,25-27 NIV:

[14] "Do not set foot on the path of the wicked or walk in the way of evildoers.
[15] Avoid it, do not travel on it; turn from it and go on your way."

[18] "The path of the righteous is like the morning sun, shining ever brighter till the full light of day.
[19] But the way of the wicked is like deep darkness; they do not know what makes them stumble."

[23] "Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it."

[25] "Let your eyes look straight ahead; fix your gaze directly before you.
[26] Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
[27] Do not turn to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil."

I guess you could say the Holy Spirit was strongly confirming my theme of reflection!  I love when the Lord directs me so clearly!  When I was first reflecting on this theme I was exited about the imagery, as it was something I could relate to from my own experience.  As I look at these verses in Proverbs, they are very directive, and pretty easy to understand.

I was thinking that these verses from Proverbs are like someone giving directions to a person who has never walked a certain way before.  If we went to a camp ground and wanted to find the waterfall, sometimes we would ask other campers or the ranger and they point us in the right direction and tell us which path to take. It was then up to us to follow their directions.  However, sometimes the ranger or camper was actually going the way we wanted to go, and would offer to show us, those times it was much easier to find the path and stay on it, for we had a guide who knew the way.

The difference between the verses in Proverbs and the ones in Matthew (and the context of Jesus' comments in Matthew) is that Jesus is speaking of following Him out of a place of personal relationship, and heart affections, for immediately preceding the verses above, He was talking at length about the Father, and how He loves us and provides for us.  In John's Gospel, Jesus speaks about love and obedience  several times (See John 14:23-24 & John 15:9-10 as examples).  He makes it clear that our choosing to follow is supposed to be in the context of relationship. The verses from Proverbs, seem more like general rules to follow.  Either is ok, but the invitation is always to deeper relationship and intimacy. He desires to guide us and walk with us!

As we come to know the Lord, and His heart for us, we recognize that His leading, and direction for us is to meant to allow us to walk on the best path, the one that gets us to our point of purpose and calling in the most expedient manner.  He can still get us to that point, no matter how far off the path we are, it just may take more work and more time.  Our choice is to follow Him, trusting in His guidance, or to wander off the path.  We can be confronted many times in a day with the choice to wander off the path, and it is up to us to choose as mature followers.

I was just reminded of how kids in preschool go for walks with their class.  Often you will see them all holding onto a rope, each walking directly behind the child in front of them.  The teacher is leading and another teacher is following. They do this because the children could be easily distracted and would end up running all over.  Holding onto the rope is a direction they can follow, and it keeps them safe.  Class trips in highschool do not require the students to hold onto a rope, for they have learned to follow directions and stay with the group (at least in theory).

In summary, I am encouraged this morning to be mature in following the path of obedience, the path I know that leads to life!  I am encouraged to trust in His guidance, knowing that He loves me and desires and plans the best for me.  He is not only willing to give me directions, but desires to guide me everyday.  I can either keep my eyes and heart on Him and stay on the path, or wander off due to distractions, it is my choice. He, in His infinite love and mercy, is always willing to help me get back on the right path.

Thank You Lord for Your patience, Your forgiveness and Your invitation to relationship and intimacy.  You don't just point out the right way, You actually desire to lead us personally!

No comments:

Post a Comment