Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, December 1, 2017

Seeing, Hearing and Representing

This morning I have jumped from Mark's Gospel to reflect on a quote that I referenced yesterday out of John 12:44-50 NIV:

[44] "Then Jesus cried out, “Whoever believes in me does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me. [45] The one who looks at me is seeing the one who sent me. [46] I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness."

[47] “If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world. [48] There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day. [49] For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken. [50] I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.”

To me these are some of the most significant things Jesus said, and something we often don't allow to impact us as they should (at least that is the case in my life).  Jesus is clearly saying that when we look at Him, we are seeing the Father.  When we hear Him, we are hearing the Father, for whatever He says is "just what the Father has told" Him to say!

Jesus is much more than just a wise teacher!  He is the perfect representation of the Father (Heb 1:2) and if we want to understand what the Father is like we just need to look to Jesus and what has been recorded about Him in the New Testament, and prophesied about Him in the Old Testament. We should use Jesus words and actions as the measuring stick for all thoughts and ideas concerning the Father.  We should read the Old Testament using the understanding of Jesus' words and actions as the filter for understanding what is being said by the Prophets and Moses, and other authors.

One of the most helpful things I have ever heard and learned is that the whole of scripture, especially the Old Testament should be considered as a record of progressive understanding and learning about God.  The authors of the Old Testament were writing as Holy Spirit inspired individuals, but they were working within the context of their understanding, and until Jesus came and revealed the Father in such perfection, no one had understood Him (God) as clearly, nor been able to represent Him as clearly.  God in His mercy and patience revealed Himself slowly throughout the History of Israel, allowing people to come to know His character a bit at a time, and He culminated this revelation of Himself in Christ Jesus.  I like what Pastor Bill Johnson says, "Jesus is perfect theology".

When I encourage people who haven't read the bible before to start reading, I always suggest they start in the Gospels, either in John or Matthew, as I think the representation of Jesus' heart, and thus the Father's, is most clear in them. When we come to know Jesus, as the loving, merciful, compassionate individual that He was, we come to understand how the Father is as well.

I am discouraged by some of the teaching and actions of the church that seems to be tainted by Old Testament thinking, focusing on the judgment of God rather than on the salvation of God.  This is not uncommon, nor unique in history.  Jesus specifically addressed this same attitude among the Jews, over and over again.  He specifically said, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn (judge) the world, but to save the world through him." (John 3:16-17 NIV)

Jesus echoes these same words again in John 12:47, as quoted above.  He is about bringing salvation, and that is available through relationship with Him.  Even the statements by Jesus that are quoted above, are often used to drive home judgment, rather than being seen as an invitation.  The people were focused on judgment, and Jesus was showing them the way past judgment.  He is clear that there will be a day of judgment, a "Last day", but that is not what He focuses on in His ministry. He is constantly proclaiming the coming Kingdom of God being established on the earth, in our lives.  He is here to proclaim freedom for all who would believe in Him!  He came to reveal the true heart of the Father towards all of us, and it is anchored in love.  He revealed the Father's heart for those that are lost, those that are sinners, those that have never heard of Him, those that misunderstand Him - and it is always mercy, forgiveness, compassion and grace!

Every time we read of Jesus interacting with an individual, one who is a sinner, or one who needs healing or is lost, we should recognize that it is the Father that Jesus is representing, in word and deed.  When He extends mercy, it is because the Father is extending mercy.  When Jesus has compassion on the lost and confused, those that are harassed and weary, it is because the Father feels and acts that way towards them!  If we see and hear Jesus , we are seeing and hearing the Father!

Lord help me to fully embrace and represent this truth in my life.  I want to be able to say that most of what I say and most of what I do is because of Your direction and guidance, that I am continuing to represent You to the world.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment