Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Humility, Compassion and the Harvest

Recently I have been talking with friends about judgmental attitudes we find in the Body of Christ, and how that is such a dangerous path.  We have discussed the way we reject those whose life-styles and ideologies do not match our own, and how that seems to fly in the face of the command Jesus gave us to love one another, and to love our neighbor.  I think most people would have a hard time feeling loved while being judged.

This morning I was reading from Luke's Gospel and came across a similarly themed story Jesus told, found in Luke 18:9-14 NIV:

[9] "To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: [10] “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. [11] The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other people---robbers, evildoers, adulterers---or even like this tax collector. [12] I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'

[13] “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'

[14] “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

The story Jesus tells appears to be addressing spiritual pride, and how God feels about that particular sinful attitude.  I believe that we can sometimes lose our mind and connection to the Lord's heart as we are confronted with sin all around us, and rather than offering the Gospel of Grace to those who are lost, we can instead judge them.  The self-righteous man was going to pray, which is a very good thing, but instead of connecting with God, he was reflecting on how much better he was than all the lesser people, for he had likely cleaned up his life and now was doing religious acts, and thus better than the others.  One can be sure that what was in his mind came out in his actions and words.  He stood separate from the others, probably because he didn't want to be made unclean by his association with sinners.

The other man, was well aware of his sins, and asked for forgiveness and mercy, knowing that God was capable and willing to extend both.  He also had come to pray, but the self-righteous man had judged him rather than rejoice that he had come to pray and to seek God.

We often wonder why more of the world hasn't recognized their need for God and come to church, and I believe this story represents one reason.  People who are in need of God, or aware of their sin, often feel judged when they walk into churches.  They hear the judgment in our words, and feel the judgment in our eyes.  We boycott places where they shop, work, or live.  We require them to clean their lives before we are willing to touch them or associate with them. Are we afraid that we might be tainted or smeared by their sinful ways or uncleanliness?

If so, then we have apparently missed the reality of what Jesus demonstrated in His ministry.  When He came, anointed (The Hebrew word actually means smeared) with the Holy Spirit, He set people free from their sinfulness just by His presence.  When He touched the leper He didn't become unclean, but instead the Leper was cleansed.  When He encountered the sinner, He wasn't smeared by their sin and made unclean.  Instead He healed, forgave and cleansed!  He had mercy and compassion and called us to have the same!  I am reminded of a couple of verses from Matthew 9:36-38 NIV:  "When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. [37] Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. [38] Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.”

We are supposed to sent out into the harvest fields, not wait for the harvest field to come to us.  We are to bear the Gospel into the fields, to bring the Gospel to the nations (Matt 28:18-20).  We are sent to the harassed and helpless, the sick, the needy, the sinners, and the lost.  We are not sent to judge, but rather to offer salvation (John 3:16-17).  How are they to hear if we do not go to where they live, work or shop (Rom 10:14)?  How does removing our presence from the lost help them to hear the Gospel of Grace?

I am reminded of Paul's words of encouragement to the church in Philippi.  Here are the verses - Philippians 2:1-4,12-16 NIV:

[1] "Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, [2] then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. [3] Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, [4] not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others."

[12] "Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed---not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence---continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, [13] for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose. [14] Do everything without grumbling or arguing, [15] so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky [16] as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain."

And finally Jesus' command found in John 13:34-35 NIV: “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. [35] By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

I pray that I might be known for my love, for my mercy and compassion!  I pray that rather than judgment, that people would encounter love when they encounter me.  I pray that I might represent Jesus in my life and attitudes.  I pray that I might be a light shining with the light of Christ!  I pray that I might embrace humility and value and extend love to all others regardless of their ideologies or lifestyles. I pray that I might realize the harvest fields are all around me!

No comments:

Post a Comment