Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, January 13, 2019

Baby Steps in Faith

My set of verses this morning is James 1:2-8 NIV:

[2] "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, [3] because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. [4] Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. [5] If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. [6] But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. [7] That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. [8] Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do."

Considering the verses about the Peter getting out of the boat yesterday, I find these verses an interesting addition. I almost see verses 6 & 7 as a commentary of wisdom gained by those who saw Peter walk on water.  Belief without doubt is key!  Don't let the wind blow and toss you and cause you to doubt!  Don't think twice (double-minded) but persevere in faith and belief!

Secondly, James encourages us to consider it pure joy when our faith is tested and your are facing trials!  That is a radical departure from my normal response!  I don't like trials, I don't like testing, because they seem to always identify my weakness and lack of maturity in areas.  I guess that is the point, but I don't like it!  I am sure that Peter felt like a failure when he stepped out of the boat and started sinking, but as I noted yesterday, I don't think that Jesus chastised him, but rather was encouraging him to continue to grow in faith and belief, and was excited that Peter had the courage to even take the step!

As I was writing that I was just reminded of the joy we felt as parents when our children just started to learn to walk!  We didn't chastise them for failing the first time, because we knew they would eventually get it, and that would lead to their growth and eventual maturation!  We don't want children who are 15 still crawling.  When they take their first steps, and fall we immediately encourage them to try again!  We want them to learn to persevere in trying, knowing full well that they will learn in time. We build them up with encouragement, we clap and sing their praises!  I think the Father is the same when we take steps in faith!  I think He is overjoyed to see us growing and maturing!

If we could stop looking at our failure, and instead see God's joy, I think we would have a different attitude when we face trials.  I know the child who is trying to walk, isn't looking at themselves, they are looking at the beaming faces of their parents, and trying to please them, trying to reach them!  Oh to have the same attitude towards the Lord, when we face trials!

Lord, help me to take my eyes off myself, and instead see this all from Your perspective!  Help me to grow in faith, taking baby steps, and getting back up when I fall, knowing that You are for me, not against me!  You desire me to walk in the fullness of all You have for me, and that requires me to mature!  Help me to belive and not doubt, and know that You are calling me forward, and thus I must have it in me to succeed!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment