Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

God's Thoughts And Intentions Towards Us

This morning I am reflecting on an interesting theme, that of God's thoughts towards us.  I started by reading from the following verses describing God's interaction with David, and His promise to him - 2 Samuel 7:8-11 NIV:

[8] “Now then, tell my servant David, 'This is what the Lord Almighty says: I took you from the pasture, from tending the flock, and appointed you ruler over my people Israel. [9] I have been with you wherever you have gone, and I have cut off all your enemies from before you. Now I will make your name great, like the names of the greatest men on earth. [10] And I will provide a place for my people Israel and will plant them so that they can have a home of their own and no longer be disturbed. Wicked people will not oppress them anymore, as they did at the beginning [11] and have done ever since the time I appointed leaders over my people Israel. I will also give you rest from all your enemies."

“ 'The Lord declares to you that the Lord himself will establish a house for you:"

I was thinking about how cool it would be to have God speak such a promise over my life!  David's life is a great example of God's unfailing love, His faithfulness, forgiveness, and blessing.  Everything didn't go perfect for David, but God's love for him never faltered.

When I read something like this, my inclination is to believe this blessing is "special" for certain people like David, who was chosen by God.  As we read through the Old Testament, we are given many examples of God choosing and speaking to certain individuals, raising up certain ones to lead His people.  He seems to interact with these "chosen" ones more intimately than He does with others.  I believe that we can falsely assume this is still the way God works in this New Covenant time-frame, and that is a problem.

We can look around the Church world-wide and see strong and anointed leaders, and think that they have some special relationship with God.  The issue isn't so much that they might have a special relationship with God, but how we judge ourselves to be NOT one of God's chosen, and that is where we are wrong!

One of the main things Jesus accomplished in coming to earth, fulfilling the requirements of the Law through his perfect life, death and resurrection, was restoration of personal relationship with God.  The Old Testament is a record of God slowly restoring the revelation of intimate relationship that was lost in the Garden of Eden.  It is in the person of Jesus, that we come to understand the radical steps God took to restore our relationship to Him!  He didn't come and suffer and die to restore us to the same type of relationship He had with ancient Israel!  He wanted a full restoration of intimate relationship for all of us.

If we go back to Jesus' statements following the Last Supper - found in John, chapters 14-17, we see God's desire for intimate personal relationship spelled out.  He wants to establish Himself in our lives, and even in our bodies.  He desires to be with us always, in every situation and circumstance, dwelling inside us! It is impossible to fully comprehend, but that is exactly what Jesus says.  Here are just a couple of verses - John 14:15-21 NIV:

[15] “If you love me, keep my commands. [16] And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever--- [17] the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. [18] I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. [19] Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. [20] On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. [21] Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

- and - John 17:20-21,25-26 NIV:

[20] “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, [21] that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me."

[25] “Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. [26] I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”


We can continue to look  at some of the writings of Paul, who clearly understood this desire of God to have intimate loving relationships with each of us!  He speaks of us all as sons and daughters of God - Romans 8:14-17,28-30 NIV:

[14] "For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. [15] The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” [16] The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. [17] Now if we are children, then we are heirs---heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory."

[28] "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. [29] For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. [30] And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified."


Peter also understood this new paradigm and expressed it well in the following verses - 1 Peter 2:9-10 NIV:

[9] "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. [10] Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy."


I could continue on quoting additional scriptures, but hopefully these suffice in laying the foundation of truth.  We are, each of us, chosen by God, even as David was chosen, to be His sons and daughters!  He loves us, and desires to interact with us and bless us, even as He did with David.  We do not need some "chosen" leader to interpret God's words for us, or direction for our lives, as each of us can have a direct intimate relationship with God themselves!  He desires us to know Him, to walk in intimacy with Him, to Hear His voice, to receive His direction and guidance, to love Him even as He loves us.  He sets His angels to guard us, to help us to battle for us!  He lives within us, and wants us to recognize this reality, of our own volition, choice and belief!

God does speak over our lives!  He has spoken promises and blessings!  He understands that our lives may not be perfect, but He will never abandon us or forsake us!  He will make our name great, for we are all His sons and daughters!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment